+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry or Wet fly- Which came first?

My bet would be the Dry came first.

Unless our forebears had scuba gear, it seems to me unlikely that they could figure out that trout were taking nymphs.

That trout were taking flies on the surface would be easy to see. Attempts at imitation would naturally ensue.

-Steven

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly yet, but doesn't Hippourus sound suspiciously like the greek root hippos? That would make the first fly a horsefly, wouldn't it? By definition only perhaps.

Lux

------------------
    If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

[This message has been edited by fishlux (edited 28 December 2005).]

I'm still trying to figure out if the chicken came before the egg or vice versa! Cuzz if it was the former then where did the rest of the chickens come from for hackle after the former was eaten and if it was the latter where did all the eggs come from for omelets after the latter was eaten. Or was the first chicken raiser a chicken plucker first for cul de canard's and later an advocate of chicken cacciatorre?

Big Questions!

Analogbob,
    Your questions deserve answers! IMHO, doing the research required may pay gigantic dividends someday. Why don't we try for a government grant to look into this? Sounds like something the gumment would finance in the blink of an eye!

Ol' Bill

Blog Entries

Well the story says the fly was above the water . Not on the water . Suppose they dangled their "trap" Above the water for the fish to grab . It would then be an ultra dry fly having never even reached the surface before being ingested by the fish .

But I think the first fly was a wet , recipe as follows

Make hook from sharp bent thorn
    Tie thong to thorn .
    Wrap worm around thorn and secure with bright wool of a sheep .
    Drop in water wherein lies a fish
    When fish starts to eat worm , yank hard in the direction of shore .
    When enough fish are on shore to feed tribe put excess fish back .
    Make plenty more woolly thorns .
    Trade extra thorns for warm furs .
    Thong tied to long stick reaches out farther from shore wherein there are more fish .
    Patent seceret idea to keep rest of tribe from doing same thing .
    Sell Idea to Renzetti tribe in next valley over

------------------
    I could be wrong , It seems unlikely , but I suppose it could happen.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Well, for better, or worse, I have tied a version of Aelian's Macedonean Hipporus. I took into account the materials, tools and lack of previous information on technique that would've been available at the time. By necesity, it is tied on a modern hook. I will try to find out what they used for hooks back then and, if possible, duplicate it. I did not use any tools in tying this fly. It was done completely by hand (that'll make you really appreciate a good bobbin). I tied it with wings, rather than hackle because Aelian's describes 2 feathers. To my mind, that would indicate wings (also the fact that it would seem a logical first step).

The species is in doubt. I have seen the fly described as a Hipporus Wasp elsewhere, but I can find no records of any such wasp, even going back as far as Galenius. Also, wasps are not noted for hovering over water, as Aelian describes them. The most likely suspect (in my opinion) is the Red Damsel-Fly (Pyrrhosmoa nympthula), which has always been indiginous and numerous to the area in question. There-fore, I tied the wings at a near 90 degree angle to the body, as I imagine a person would who was trying to imitate a damsel-fly in flight would've done, without the benefit of modern instructions.

I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to work a digital camera correctly.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread