+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sage fly rods

Default sage fly rods

Anybody out there have or have used a sage launch fly rod? Saw some on sale in a fly shop and wondering how they would do for my daughter-in law?
    There is also another model, the fy or something close to that is some more money. I know sage is a good rod, I have one but I'm not familiar with the newer models. Any help appreciated.

fish

Sage is replacing the Launch series with Vantage series. The other rod you mentioned is the Flight. The Launch and its replacement, the Vantage are medium-fast action rods and the Flight is a fast action rod. If your daughter in-law is new to fly fishing, then I would go with the Launch or Vantage. It would be more forgiving while she learns how to cast. I find Sage entry level rods (I hate that label. Let's just say reasonably priced) to be impressive performers. I love my Flight and Discovery rods and have opted to use them many times over my higher priced Sage rods.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly has it right on the money. I love my fast action 9', 5 weight, 4-piece Fli (previous model to the Flight) which I bought as a travel rod, but my old (vintage ~1992) 8', 5 weight, 2-piece Discovery Series is a dream for throwing small to medium sized dry flies.

His advice on a slower action rod for a beginner is quite sound. There NEEDS to be more flex in the rod for a beginner to learn the proper casting stroke. They won't be familiar enough to "feel" a fast action rod loading. Also, try not to let the price on the rod fool you. If you are looking in a fly shop, do not let them try to sell you up, and don't be afraid to haggle a little. There are some darned good rods on the market today for comparitively little money.

It is hard to go wrong with any of the rods from Sage, G. Loomis, Scott, Winston, or Thomas and Thomas, however some of the overseas-made rods made by Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) can be outstanding values.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

I was very impressed with the Launch series rods. Though I prefer faster action rods for the most part (I have Sage RPLX, RPL+, RPLXi, VT2, and Fli models) I bought a 7wt 4pc Launch because it was just pleasant to use.

The Launch at closeout prices is a great value.

I have a 9ft 4pc 4wt Launch, very impressed with it! A med/fast action, works well in a relaxed kinda way.

I'd have to agree with everything which has already been posted. Both the Vantage (Launch) and Flight (FLi) are excellent rods for the money. I purchased a FLi last year on closeout for a great price, so a Launch on closeout should also be a great deal. I've cast both and the thing which tipped the scale for me was that I favor a fast action rod over a medium/fast action. Though the thought of a Launch on closeout may be enough to get me to pick one up!

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Normand Guest

not knowing what level of fly caster your daughter in law is, its pretty hard for anybody to determine what any brand of rod will be good for her. a good caster can make any brand work.

not knowing what level of fly caster your daughter in law is, its pretty hard for anybody to determine what any brand of rod will be good for her. a good caster can make any brand work.
    Very good advice! The Launch is an excellent rod. Even though we call it a medium-fast ... it has enough back bone to throw flies.

"fast" doesn't mean powerful. Today's rods are make in such a way that a slower rod can still have plenty of "beef in the butt". I got a Launch 7wt for my girlfriend, but I seem to be using it quite a bit

A nervous type of caster might like a flight more. If she's able to really feel the rod, let it load and work, a launch is a good, really well priced choice.
    Christopher Chin

I love my 6wt Launch. I am not a good caster, to say the least. The Launch just feels perfect to me. I can feel it load, it's light enough to keep my shoulder from tiring, and it can deliver even big flies with ease for me. Great rod even at the original price. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Smile This Thread Cost Me Money (LOL)

I have never owned a Sage Rod but alway wanted one but was too cheap to buy one. After reading the reviews of our FAOL members I took the plunge and found one on E-Bay for under $150. A new rod with warranty card, tube, etc.

Can't wait to try it out.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread