+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ty-rite

Default Ty-rite

How many of you use one of these? They seem like a great tool, but I feel like I'd always end up just using my fingers, and this would be a slight waste of money. Does anyone use them? I think I'm gonna give it a try. Discuss please

Have one....Have not used or carried it in years...nor can I figure out why I thought I needed it...Just my thoughts.

The Only knot tool I carry, Is a chunk of stainless steel wire I think .028 That I folded over and wrapped the ends with tying thread with a loop made of nylon chord to attach to a zinger and the thread coated with head cement...This is my nail knot tool.

place the fly line beside it and the butt of the leader running the oppisite way make 6 wraps around both and insert the tag of the leader through the wire loop and pull the wire loop out...Other than this,I have not found any other knots I need any extra fingers for..

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 December 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Absolutely one of the best gadgets out there for fishing small flies. I use mine all the time, and would be hard pressed to fish midges (18-26) without it, especially during the winter.

I keep cross-lock tweezers on a zinger on my left, and use them to pick a midge out of a closely-packed C&F box. Then, I pick the fly off the tweezers with the Ty-Rite (zinger on my right), thread the tippet, and give it a few spins with the Ty-Rite. (This is MUCH easier to do with the tool than with one's fingers, especially if they're cold.)

Once you finish and trim the knot, you release the fly from the Ty-Rite, or leave it in place if you want to add weight, etc.

Throughout this operation, you can simply drop either tool (since they're on zingers) with the fly in place, to do other things...like put away the fly box, zip a pocket, fish out a container of shot, etc.

All this is much easier to do than to explain, believe me. The Ty-Rite is truly useful and very reasonably priced. Probably not needed for 14s & bigger, but great for the small stuff.

Carry mine on a zinger - use it for every fly. The tying goes a lot faster.

There are less important things on zingers probably

Regards,
    Chris

I used this handy gadget for tying a clinch knot when trout fishing. However, I've since found the uniknot to be more effective, since I'm also a saltwater flyfisher and this is the knot I use with 100% effectiveness. I found the clinch as well as the improved clinch sometimes failed so I now use the uniknot. Obviously, I no longer find a need for this tool unless it's to hold the small fly while I tie on the connection so it won't drop in the water.

The Ty-Rites that I have looked at have wire that's too thick for some of my flies. I make my version by taking violin E-string, forming a tight loop and inserting the wire into a recycled ball point pen. Here on some of our fussy SE PA trouts, I sometimes have to resort to #32's, and the old Mustad #28 540L's and 7955G's have mighty small gaps.

------------------
    tl
    les

I think a few of these replies may be thinking of the "Tie-Fast" tool as opposed to the "Ty-rite" that I'm speaking of. This tool is half of a ball point pen, and has a super small spring loaded hook to hold the fly while tying onto the tippet. After reading the posts about the C&F flyboxes all over the place, I just think it would be easier to have an organised box if you used this tool

Mr.Wagner...i THINK YOUR RIGHT...I was thinking of that tool and not the pen type fly holder....thats a horse of a different color..I don't even consider it a knot tool per'se...Handy at times! Sorry for my confussion
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread