+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: storage tubes?

Clay

Go to American Science and Surplus and check these out, scroll down the page and you'll see them.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/7

Fatman

Default Pill Vials

Quite an interesting thread with some good ideas put forth. I use plastic pill vials from our local drug store. They are about 6 inches tall with a 2 inch diameter. They hold three spools of thread easily.

Tim

I thought I would enclose a picture of the FishPond thread tubes in this thread so everyone can see what I was originally talking about. While I like the FishPond Coyote bag itself, the hook boxes were junk and were replaced tout sweet, (damn fast) and thread tubes, while being OK, the length is off just a bit. You will see in the photo that they can hold 6 spools with extra room or if you put 7 spools in them the lid won't shut or falls off easily. You have to look at the photo and the white caps carefully to catch this. So I am not locked into the FishPond thread tubes. If I put 6 spools in them they work fine.

Hopefully will get a cost from FishPond on Monday and will check out some of the other spool tubes then too.

Note, this wouldn't be my tying bench method of holding spools, there are better ways or racks for home use, but when traveling with your tying gear the tubes work out nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know somebody who works in an operating room? Lots of orthopaedic instrumentation comes in tubes of just the right size--they are what I use to store my extras

also, try a craft store--in the beading section they have clear stuff that might work for you

Thumbs up

You should also look at: www.dan-bailey.com
    They are fly tying supply business with a good reputation.
    They have 4 sizes for specific fly material applications.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdmd View Post
    ...try a craft store--in the beading section they have clear stuff that might work for you
    Tried hobby lobby and Michaels, no go on both of those places locally.

Just tried Dan Bailey's web site. Am familar with them, but there site is currently down on this end. Will try again tomorrow.

Rick

Okay Clay,

I had posted the Science and Surplus ones but I think these are the ones you're looking for http://www.eflytyer.com/new_stuff/ns_tools.html just scroll down the page.

Hope this helps

Fatman

Default Pillbox

I like Panman's idea best so far...how 'bout glue two together, end to end, now you can have six in one with two tops so you don't have to unload as many to get at the deepest thread spool. Tell the pharmicist what yer doin' with em and i'd say he'd sell you some cheap or even give you some...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post

Tyrone, thanks for the link. I bought these. Fish pond wanted $5 per tube. The shipping was high on a small order $9.72. I first did it with just 6 tubes and the price was the same when I went to a doz. Maybe will sell a couple at the fly tying class this winter. If not, I will have some new storage devices handy.

Clay,

Glad to help. Fortunately for me I have several Tap Plastics close by. Shipping can be killer and at times more than the actual item to be purchased.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread