+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about tying popping bugs

Default question about tying popping bugs

i have been looking around at maybe learning how to tie my own poppong bugs for bream and small bass,i have found many ways of making the bodies,and here is my question,i found that they make foam bodies for this in small sizes these have a slit cut in the bottom for Attaching to the hook so how do you attach it? i did see where you lay down some thread on the shank, so do you use glue and just glue the body on with the thread base? also what type of glue do you use? and also are there any tutorials out there on this i have searched and not quite found good instructions,also what type of hooks would i use? i am looking at the size 8 or size 10's. hope i didnt confuse anyone with my questions.

bart

Normand Guest

heres a tutorial on making balsa poppers but it should be the same for foam poppers.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/F...s_poppers.html

even janns netcraft has a tutorial for cork and foam poppers

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/cork_poppers.htm

heres what i do when i use GOOGLE or BING. type in "making foam poppers" and you will get this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=making+...=n&adlt=strict

then i search the sites for what i need

there is also a "search" function on this website that should get you some instructions on tying "dremel bugs" or something like that.
    Last edited by Normand; 09-24-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Look at creative foam tying and "the jelly bean" by Jim Hatch here on faol, type in under search. Exactly what im trying learn to make now. Good luck

thanks for the info, i do appreciate it.

bart

Bart, I've made poppers the way you asked about and yes, I laid down a thread base, put on some thick CA glue (like superglue) and slipped the body over the shank of the hook. But I have more fun shaping the bodies on my dremel, laying down a thread base, applying superglue, then threading the foam body back onto the shank from the eye. Either way, it'll work.

Bass_Bug Guest

I use 5 min epoxy.

Homemade bodies or preformed, balsa or foam. Use folder sandpaper (120 grit) in the slit to make the hook fit just tight enough so the body doesn't fall off. Mix up a small dab of epoxy, and with a tooth pick, dab a little epoxy in the slit. Then add a thin layer of epoxy on the hook shank and fit together. Use a clean tooth pick to wipe off excess and smooth out. Set aside to cure, and do another.

If the hook fits very tight when dry it will squeeze off most of the epoxy when you glue them together.

The trick to getting more than a couple done before the epoxy sets is to have everything laid out ready, including a drying area where they can lay upside down to cure. I use the rough floral foam and make slots with the hook before I start, so as soon as I add epoxy, I set in the foam. Can usually do 4 or 5 before the epoxy gets to stiff to work with.

Default poppers

As far as hooks go there are a number of good ones, but you might want to try kinkshank hooks on your first poppers. Helps to keep the popper material from turning on your hook.

I use foam. I drill a 1/64" hole thru the foam or run a large darning needle through the foam.
    Thread is wrapped on the hook and some zap-a-gap put on that,at the front. Then shove the foam over the hook, from the eye.
    I use straight shank hooks.

Rick

I, like Rick, am a large fan of foam. Usually my daughter's now out of style foam wedgies or flip flops. The only thing I do differently is I don't drill a hole just use a rather large sewing needle. I shape the body using my Black and Decker cordless dremel type tool and an emery board. I like the steel shaft from a wrecked umbrella for a plug cutter, one of those that pops up will have a two or three of different sizes. Cut a section square up the ends and sharpen them in your drill. I make a decent looking bug for a redneck.

This was from a synethic wine cork. Can't tell you what brand it was my neighbor.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 01-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Give it a try, I did and have not made any lately, but here are some I made and had not been making them long at all...

Oh and closed the slit with epoxy after getting the hook in right.

Skip

And this was my first...

+ Reply to Thread