+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have a game...

Default i have a game...

called "name that tying material!" i was given a box of a few random fly tying materials and figured id ask here what they are instead of possibly making mistakes trying myself. and i also figured everyone here would have fun doing this.

any help and info is greatly appreciated. with those materials there also was a bobbin, an old vise that i will try to make do with, and a few other things. cant complain for free : ) also, the hooks are very large, im guessing they are for saltwater streamers if for flies at all but i posted a picture to see what everyone else though. thank you!

Bass_Bug Guest

1-Ringneck pheasant skin
    2-Mustad 34011 SS hooks (size 2?) next time put a coin in the pic for size comparison.
    3-Grizzly wet fly hackle
    4-Strung maraboo, turkey quill, strung saddle hacklele
    5-Black bear, possum (gray) buck tail pieces(red)
    6-Flashabou(Ivory), a mess(white)
    7-more ss hooks, pearl mylar tubing

Oh, and posting pics as thumbnails is much appreciated by most viewers.

thank you bassbug! im sorry about not posting them as thumbnails, im not sure how to do that. the hooks are all different sizes but most are an inch and a half long from eye to bottom of shank. i was gonna post another picture next to a ruler but my camera is not cooperating now. anything useful in that stuff though?

it's all useful.

Naw nothing usefull there might as well send it all to me and I will get rid of it for ya. The phesant skin is good for a lot of things specially soft hackles, the black maraboo is good for bodies and tails, The hooks steelhead and salmon flies, the turkey feather shelll backs and parachute wings, The black shaplin feathers good for big flies as hackle or tails, The hair is good for wings and tails, the synthetic hair ivory and whit is good for wings, mylar tubing is good for bodies, and last but not least the gizzly hackle is good for hackle and tails on larger flies. Hope this helps

thank you so much for the replies. i didnt mean to be as blunt when i asked if it is useful, ive come to learn from this site that i could have posted a picture of a plunger and someone would find a use in tying for it. like i said before i am just starting and learning. i hope i can use these materials alone to tie a few starter flies. im from new jersey and dont think ill be doing any steelhead fishing around here, so once i get some things together im wondering if there is anyone in need of some of those hooks that will be willing to trade for some other hooks or materials i may need, ive noticed there are many very generous people on this site and im very greatful to be learning from this "family". thanks again guys!

Cold Guest

ive come to learn from this site that i could have posted a picture of a plunger and someone would find a use in tying for it
    That's hilarious!

...um...

You could slice long, thin strips from the rubber part to wind onto hooks as a caddis larve body...or whittle it to make a decent streamer tail...or...or...

A plunger could be used for popper bodies as well. When ou are ready to do some trading I might be interested in some fo the stuff.

Those stainless hooks make are just the ticket for saltwater applications if you do that, bass and pike would be appropriate too. Like, it's hard to tell size with no reference like the previous poster mentioned but thank who ever gave it all to you because in this hobby every little piece of fuzz cost $3 to $5 and some feathers will set you back an SUV gas tank full.

I also laughed outloud when I read the plunger line. It's truer than most would think.

At the TU meeting on Monday night, a guy is passing around a stonefly pattern, I ask what the legs were and he bends over and whispers: "Doll eyelashes" like we were exchanging secret missle launch codes. You're going to have a grand time tying, enjoy.

Rick

thanks for the help! i forgot to mention i also was given a book, The Freshwater Angler The Art of Fly Tying by John van Vliet. ISBN: 0-86573-043-1. not sure if anyone has seen it but im sure they have. it goes through a lot of information on tying all different patters, tools and materials, and different techniques and is filled with great detailed color photos.

+ Reply to Thread