+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Predator

Default The Predator

If my memory serves me well Skip Morris originally developed this pattern as a subsurface fly and Chris Helm tied it as a floating pattern. It is an amazing fly for panfish and bass (small and largemouth). This was one of the fist patterns I tied and I caught my share of fish with it. I just haven't been able to find a recipe to share with others so I was wondering if anyone has it. Here is a pic of it.

Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Default Here is a website

I found this site on my AltraVista web search....

The Predator (step by step instructions)

Here are the listings of other Skip Morris fly dressing articles from FAOL, I also have these available in PDF (requires Adobe Reader)

Ant Carol, Assom Dragon, Birds Nest, Black Ghost, Bunse Green Drake, Cahils (light & dark), Carrot Nymph, Compardun Quill Gordon, Emergent Sparkle Pupa, Fathead Diver, Foam Beetle, Goddard Caddis, H & L variant, Henryville Special, Humpy, King's River Caddis, Leadwing Coachman, Madam X, March Brown Comparadun, Morrisfoam Golden Stone, Pale Evening Dun, Partridge and Yellow (soft hackle), Rat-Face McDougal, Salmonrod, Serendipity, Shinebou Sunfish, Silver Outcast, Skaddis, SMP (Skip Morris Panfish), Strymph(all purpose smallmouth bass fly), Trico Poly Wing Spinner, & Woven Dragonfly Nymph.

Hope this helps! ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 09-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Strangely enough that pattern will be taught durring our intermediate fly tying class held this coming Jan. I have found it to be an effective pattern as well and fun to tie.

Rick

I'll send you a PM.

Default I never charge

Just want to clarify, that I have not ever charged anyone for any of the articles I have on my computer, and I never will.

I do this as a "Pay Forward" to everyone, for the help that FAOL has given me as well as the many people I have met in the Fly Angling community through these past 14 years, since I first took up the long rod, in 1995.

I have a old computer (Windows 95 program) where the CPU is too slow for the broadband connection that I am currently using. So the old computer is being put to use in my fly tying room, with many thousands of fly patterns available at my fly tying station. It took awhile, but now I am almost completely "paper free", and my printer is mostly collecting dust! ~Parnelli

I really hope one day this fly gets to be the fly of the week. It's a great pattern! I've caught my best bass and panfish on it.
    I believe I can fly fish

Blog Entries

Steven, I would like to have those recipes with pictures on pdf. I like the predator in this thread better than the others. It is easier for me to see. Some of these patterns I have heard of, some not. I am somehow becoming a pattern collector...when that wasn't my first intention when I started tying. I am sure I am not the only one like that though...rotfl.
    Kelly

Steven....what a great idea.

I have an unused computer and may even have another since my wife is now unable to use hers.

Any advise on organization of folders?

I've got a cabinet drawer stuffed full of saved patterns either printed from the internet or mostly saved articles from magazines....I guess there's no way I want to go through the trouble of scanning to the computer.

To get the PDF do you need an email address?

I took an unused computer and was frustrated by the old Windows Operating System. I went and found a fantastic Unix operating system (it's FREE) - Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) and (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download).

You might want to try this - but be advised you might wipe our hard drive if trying to install it with Windows. I would suggest taking a computer that you want to dedicate to this operating system. The nice thing about it - it has FREE office software and does PDF files very nicely.

I then created a folder (directory) and I called it "Fishing"

From there I created folders under / in Fishing and did Fly Tying, Locations, etc etc.

Under Fly Tying I created Folders for Streamers, wet, Dry, Panfish...use your imagination -

BUT -

My favorite folder is one I created called 'Must Try Patterns'. Here I save all those patterns that just scream for me to tie and try. If I like it (and the fish approve) I move it into one of my other folders.

Give it a try - you might like having a dedicated Fly Fishing computer that runs on free operating system. Yes, I connected this pc to my home network and get regular (free) updates from Ubuntu keeping me up to date and virus free (the nice thing about Unix - no virus issues).
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Bass_Bug Guest

Ubuntu is a great OS but not for the faint of computer savvy hearts. The download file is an ISO disc image of nearly 700MB's. After downloading you need to burn it to a CD using the image option in the CD burning software if you want to boot from that for a new installation. This CD can also be purchased at most computer stores for about $1.99. This is a much more preferred option if available. You just need to be aware of harware requirements. If an old machine is barely running Win95, dont change it, you're might not find Ubuntu drivers for it (video, network, sound cards etc.).

As for file/folder structures, just think of how they are, or would be, in a file cabinet. Each drawer is a top folder each hanging tab is a sub folder, each file folder in each hanging tab is a sub-sub-folder and so on.

+ Reply to Thread