+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Fly on DePuy Spring Creek MT

Smile Your Fly on DePuy Spring Creek MT

Early next April, thanks to FAOL and BB member ohiotuber, I will spend a couple days fishing DePuy Spring Creek south of Livingston MT. Follow the links below for more information on the experience I can expect while I am there. That time of year, the main hatches should be midges and baetis, and there could be some scud and streamer fishing in the mix.

While spring creek fishing is outside my comfort zone, having the opportunity to go there and face the challenge of that kind of fishing would not be possible except for the folks on this Bulletin Board, who are the reason that I joined FAOL and participate on the BB regularly.

Since my time on DePuy will be so distinctly an FAOL thing, I would like to invite you all to participate. Rather than fish flies that I could tie for the occasion, I would like to fish the flies that you would tie to fish there if you were given the opportunity that I now have.

For the next several months, I'll be kind of bouncing around as we find a home in Missoula and get settled down. But starting sometime early next year, probably February, I'd like all who want to participate to tie one fly they would fish on DePuy and send it to me so I can fish it for you. The only criteria will be the kinds and sizes of flies listed in the "Hatching Chart" on the DePuy Spring Creek website ( link below ) for midge and baetis life cycle flies, scuds, and sculpins.

Feel free to jump in now with a commitment for a fly, or wait until we get a little closer to the event. As a practical matter, there will be a limit on how many flies I can fish in two or three days. My thought is to fish each fly that meets the "Hatching Chart" criteria until it catches a fish or one half hour, whichever is the shorter time. If it catches a fish, it will be featured in a "Reader's Cast" article wrapping up what will be for me a unique experience, and highlighting what the fly tiers on FAOL can do.

John

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...al20090803.php

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/

P.S. Posting the name and description of the fly you want fished, with a photo, if possible, will help minimize duplication of flies, and could make for a very interesting continuing thread on the subject of spring creek fishing.
    The fish are always right.

Default I'm In!!!!

I definately want to contribute. I'll tye up what worked for me next door at Armstrongs. A black WD40 size 20. Slayed them when i was there.

Rich

Hi John,

I'm in for sure. I've had a read through their hatches, and it seems to me that they recommend a lot of small flies. They seem to recommend caddis and midges. So, I put together the following, partridge and yellow with a hare's mask dubbing, tied on a dry fly hook, size 22.

I've tied a few very wee spiders on these hooks for myself recently for spring creek fishing back in NZ. Basically, if the fish are taking just below the surface cast this a few feet above and beyond a rising fish. Give a bit of a tug just as it lands, otherwise it won't break the surface. After that, it should drift towards the fish and will probably be an inch or two below the surface at most given the light wire hook. I have a feeling this will be effective if you get some bright sunny conditions. Given the clarity of the water you're fishing, I figure the fish will be relectant to take off the surface, but might be tempted to feed on midges or tiny caddis just below it.

Also, you just might want to tie this to some tippet before getting to the water, and then attach it by a blood knot when the conditions are right. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to tie these on streamside myself, and I'm thinking preparing them ahead of time might be good for the sanity!

Will get this in the mail tomorrow if I can.

- Jeff

Popped the beast from above in the mail today. Should arrive at your current address by the end of next week, or early the following week. The sign in the post office said 4-6 days, and I'm assuming they don't count Saturdays and Sundays, and there's a good chance Mondays are out too.

- Jeff

Question 22/22

Jeff -

That fly could conceivably get me into a "22/22" club - 22" trout on a size 22 fly ??!!

Haven't fished anything that small before, except a size 20 2XS which is about the same as this one.

Looking forward to getting it and storing it in a safe place until next spring ( creek ).

Thanks.

John

P.S. I'm thinking that I will get a fly box just for this event. And when it is over, send it along to Mike ( ohiotuber ) with all the flies that weren't lost or shredded.
    The fish are always right.

John, count me in. I'm gonna take a look at your links and let you know what fly I decide on. Great idea, thanks!

John

It will be very impressive to get into the 22/22 club with this. The eye is very small, and you'll have to use some light tippet as well. See, the US should have gone metric, a 22/22 is easier in centimeters!

- Jeff

I was bored tonight and decided to try for a spring creek fly. I have a #22 olive snowshoe comparadun I'll send you if you P.M. an address. I cannot get my camera to focus on anything that small so picture. Oops! That's too small for April. I should have checked the hatch chart first. I'll do a #20. That might come out a little better anway.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 09-25-2009 at 02:49 AM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

John,

I'm a HUGE fan of cripples. Seems like it was my go-to fly for 2009. When all else failed, it seemed like I could always get a take, a hit, or at least a rise on a cripple. So, here 'ya go bud. I'm sending you some baetis cripples for your adventure on DePuy. Hope you do good, and we're all waiting for your reports!

John

Default DePuy's

John,

My wife and I used a size 20 Gray CDC Emerger last year and did well.

+ Reply to Thread