+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threads

Blog Entries

Default Threads

Ok this might seem odd but the threads used in tying are they the same as the nylon thread used for clothing or is it a special type. also would the thread i use to wrap guids on poles work?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineC View Post
    Ok this might seem odd but the threads used in tying are they the same as the nylon thread used for clothing or is it a special type. also would the thread i use to wrap guids on poles work?
    Hi Charlaine - Sewing thread is usually much thicker than thread used for fly tying, except for the really heavy duty tying thread. Here's a really good article on thread that should prove very enlightening to you:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssthread/index.html

H.A.

Charlain,
    You can use any thread you have available, even light weight fishing line to tye with. However, there are advantages to using Tying thread.
    Most sewing thread is made, at least partly, from cotton. Cotton will absorb water, which might not be bad for a sinking fly, but not so good for dry flies. Sewing thread is also braided, instead of stranded, and will not lay flat for building smooth bodies. The break strength of sewing thread is also inconsistent.
    Tying thread is usually a polyethylene stranded product that is twisted instead of braided. You can twist it to make it round to build up bulk, or untwist it to make it flat for building smooth bodies. Some of it is waxed to make it bind materials better, and to make it hold dubbing better. It is also available in different weights to tie different size flies. Be aware that, unless you buy thread by Denier weight, different companies size names (8/0, 6/0, etc.) may be a different size.
    Mono-filament (fishing line, tippet material, or clear quilting thread) can also be used for certain purposes, such as ribbing or creating transparent bodies. It is a little more difficult to work with, since it will not hold itself tight without tension on it.
    Rod thread can be used to tie flies. I have read of it being used, but have never used it myself, so I have no idea of the advantages and drawbacks to doing so.
    Welcome to FAOL, from sunny, and hot, South East Texas. I'm glad to see you using the Bulletin Board to your advantage. Keep asking questions, and we'll keep answering them.

Regards,

Kirk

Oh, yeah, and what Heritage Angler said, too!
    Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 09-20-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Cause I think too slow.

Blog Entries

wow i liked that made more sence. also nice to know i can use all the silk threads i have too

Hi Charlaine,

Tying thread, as mentioned is much finer than is sewing thread. Rod winding thread is also much bigger in diameter than is tying thread. It can be used for larger flies, but the finer thread is much easier to use on trout fly size flies.

The main disadvantage of the larger thread is that the tread volume builds up very quickly. That makes a fly very quickly build up with thread volume. Very experienced tiers can minimize such builds up to an extent, but it is really tough for a beginner.

Regards,

Gandolf

You could start with 2 spools of tying thread.............white and black. Buy a good set of permanent markers......they will change the white thread into any color that you want. After tying for awhile you can buy thread in the colors that you use the most.

I suggest that you stick to 1 or 2 companies that make thread. I found that I have less problems that way. I Know the characteristics of the thread and what I can do with it.

As a previous poster mentioned it's crazy when dealing with different companies. What I found really weird was first understanding that 3/0 is thicker than 6/0 which is thicker than 8/0 OK, but when one 6/0 is much strong than another manufactures 6/0 is just plain weird. These days I am unwaxed UTC fan. The article that was referenced right at the beginning of this thread is worth the investment in time to read. If you are serious about you question, you will read it.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread