+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went and did it !!!!

Smile I went and did it !!!!

I finally broke down and ordered my Kayak. It's an Advanced Elements Straight Edge Inflatable. I've been tempted for over a year now.

I decided on the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 but learned that while some people may do it - a carrying rack for my 2 door Chevy Cobalt is not made and is not recommended by either Thule or Yakima. I did find ways to carry the Kayak but it didn't make sense to me to be spending more on carrying the Yak than on the Yak itself. So against most my friends advice I have been looking at inflatables. Besides I have no place to store a hard body Kayak in my Condo!

It's interesting, all the comments I got from the non-believers showed absolutely no confidence in the durability or safety of an inflatable. I think understandably so as many aren't fit for a swimming pool. But when on the lake and running into an inflatable owner all I would hear is "Best purchase I ever made", "I take it every where with me", and "I store it in my closet or trunk of my car". I never heard anything but praise from the owners so now I have done it.

I asked on the board here but very few had any experience with an inflatable. Advanced Elements was sponsor at one time and did give away a Kayak in the raffle. It did get good reviews so that was the brand I looked at.

http://www.advancedelements.com/straitedge.html

The Advanced Elements Straight Edge has reports of excellent performance with strong use on Class II and III rapids so I will have to give a report once it arrives and I get a chance to get out.
    Last edited by PanFisher; 09-19-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss

make sure you get a patch kit for it

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Sweet! Please let us know how you find it, I would not worry about the puncture side of things, it should be no more prone to punctures than a float tube or 'toon. How you go in a good blow would be very interesting.
    Hope you enjoy your purchase, I am sure you will.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Blog Entries

Looks like a nice boat and with your current situation probably the best compromise for you. There are always compromises when you buy anything rods reels boats etc. Let us know how it works for you.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss

make sure you get a patch kit for it

Eric
    Eric,

Interesting comment and it makes a good point! Exactly the same as I got from many of my friends. Some were joking and some were seriously concerned about my safety.

It is one comment that factored into my decision. This logical mind of mine realized the same can be said about Pontoon Boats and Float Tubes. All can be classified as "Inflatable Watercraft". The problem is there are no standards - this covers the toy not fit for the swimming pool to the Search and Rescue boats used by Coast Gaurd and Navy Seals.

Thus my decision to research and locate a quality manufacturer the same as you would do for a Float Tube or Pontoon boat.
    Last edited by PanFisher; 09-20-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Let No One Walk Alone

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I have heard of belly boats being deflated when someone put a blue gill upside down and put a little too much pressure against the boat with the gill while trying to get the hook out. having had my hand deflated by a gill occasionally I can see this happening. My post was in jest but having fished from a canoe, (and I wasn't sitting on the floor but on a seat) I know how close your line is going to be to that boat. all it takes is one bad cast or one misplaced hook and your going to be heading for shore. just one of the compromises that you face. As long as you plan for this it should be no big deal.

BTW I marked the makers home page as favorites, I also have compromises to make and that looks like a great boat. your going to have to make a post or a product review as to how stable etc it is.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Well the Kayak came in delivered to my place of work Friday afternoon, so maiden voyage should have been yesterday. Unfortunately when I went to my storage shed to get a dolly to carry the box from the car I noticed a nice little puddle around the base of my water heater. That killed the maiden voyage as I spent the whole day with a plumber.

Today though I was able to inflate it in the living room. It is everything I expected and perhaps a bit more. Once out of the box it is in a duffle bag that will easily fit into the trunk of my car. It pulls out easily and inflates within minutes. Likely easier than a pontoon boat. Deflates just as easily and goes back into the bag no problem.

The material is tough - it is not going to be punctured by a fish spine, at least not accidentally. I suppose if I swung a Channel Cat at it those side spines might do some damage but it would take some force to make a puncture. All in all it looks like a great purchase, but truth really won't be known until I get it on the water. That will have to be scheduled for next weekend now. Saturday will be the day! I will follow up with a report.
    Let No One Walk Alone

Congrats Panfisher! Can't wait for your report. I hope I'm as pleased with my toon as you are your yak when it gets here!!!

good luck,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I'll be patiently waiting for the review too. Being a college student with a small apartment and 2 door car means no real space for a kayak or canoe. An inflatable would work well and I was thinking about one this summer but never got around to looking into it. I'm hoping it gets a thumbs up so I can think about getting one for the spring.

Joe Cool:

Here are a bunch of reviews on this boat. http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showKayaks.html?manf=4

David

+ Reply to Thread