+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Good dutch oven recipe

...... the 4 that we use all came from yard sales
    Apparently they're the kind of thing people buy and then don't know what to do with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
    A dutch oven cleaning trick I learned from some of my rafting friends... It seems someone had forgot to clean out a dutch oven then stored it for several months in the garage.

She just scraped out the loose chunks and placed it upside down in the home electric oven, then ran the 'self clean' cycle. The D.O. came out looking brand new, re-seasoned with some cooking oil and back in business.

link to my favorite D.O. recipe site, chocolate lovers should try the 'black forest cobbler'....

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp
    I had some friends who taught dutch oven cooking to scouts. They would show the scouts how to make a crusty dutch oven like new by building up a big fire and throwing on the dutch oven, then letting the fire burn out. (low tech version of throwing it in the oven on clean.) One time they bought a particularly grungy dutch oven and did there trick, They didnt catch on that the oven was a little lighter than it should be. They threw the dutch oven on watched it get nice and hot, then watched it melt. moral of the story, dont try that trick with an aluminum dutch oven.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Default Missouri Conservationist

Here's an article that ran in the Missouri Conservationist magazine this summer along with a few recipes. I've not used a dutch oven before but my wife just found a box full of iron cookware and an oven was included. Now to get a lid lifter and try the cobbler recipe.

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2009/06/30.htm

We went out with our scout troop to build a timber rope swing for the Expo here in KCMO (back in the 70's) and peach cobbler was fixed in a large fire pit in large disposable aluminum pans. Some of the best cobbler I've ever eaten. Mmm, mmm...

Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

MOturkE for a lid lifter I use a pair of vice grips. works well and I didnt have to buy anything.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Saturday for our dessert we made chocolate turtle cake.
    It was tasty but we should have cooled it longer. It was very gooey
    Left-overs went over big time at breakfast

Chocolate Turtle Cake

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Peach Cobbler (using a Cast Iron)

I love peach cobbler, and when peaches are in season, I make up as many peach cobbler as I can, and then freeze them.

I just line the cast iron pan with aluminum foil, and when completed I place the cast iron pan in the freezer with a layer of aluminum foil between the cover and the pan to seal out freezer burn.

Then I remove the peach cobbler from the cast iron, and use the aluminum foil from the lid and seal the top of the cobbler and then wrap another wrap of aluminum foil, before returning the peach cobbler to the freezer.

I also dehydrate peach slices for when I am going camping and just add water to reconstitute the peach slices for campfire peach cobbler.

I even use my cast irons in the oven, and I always have a stone in the oven, to shield the bottom of the pan from the heat from the electric heating coils.

~Parnelli

Steve,

I also love peach cobbler. But have no recipe.

Where could one find a copy of your peach cobbler recipe?

I'm a blackberry cobbler fan but this will work for peach also. It's my wife's recipe, go to Walmart grocery section (Kroger, Fry's will also work) go to the frozen dessert section; pick up the Mrs. Smith cobbler; check out and take home and heat according to direction. Delicious with vanilla ice cream which was across the aisle from the cobbler.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 09-22-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

I love dutch oven cooking. And have a few different recipes i'll have to dig out for yall. its funny how cast iron is coming back in "style" as of late. its all I use all my cookware is cast iron except for my wok and a few other glass pots. the thing I miss the most with my cast iron is the spit ahh used to love that thing for winter camping and chili. mmmmmmmmmm bear meat chili

The only tricky thing I've found (out with Boy Scouts) is getting the amount of liquid in the dutch oven right. Peaches in syrup into a white cake mix seems to work pretty well. But another favorite is cherry (use pie filling) in chocolate cake mix. Need to add some milk because the cherries just don't have enough liquid. A little experimentation is all it takes... with kids around, it will get eaten even if it doesn't come out perfect. Now my own personal favorite is cherries in yellow cake, but the combinations are endless. And did I mention that the main course was gumbo done in a dutch oven? I may just start cooking out in my yard full time...

+ Reply to Thread