+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tying with scissors in hand

Normand Guest

Default tying with scissors in hand

i personally dont tie with scisssors in hand but these look interesting (i dont think theres anything new about them, probably been around for awhile)

http://singlebarbed.com/2009/09/14/s...ween-his-toes/

I don't tie that way either. A. K. Best on "Production Fly Tying" advocates tying that way and also using Wiss scissors that, in plastic, look a lot like the singlebarbed scissors. I have tried tying that way but I am more comfortable picking up the scissors when I need them and then laying them down.
    Walt

Cold Guest

Yeah. Most of the really good tyers I know tie with their scissors in hand, and recommend learning to do the same. I've really tried to, and it does improve my speed noticeably (I'm the type of guy that seems to lose every tool I set down, then spend precious seconds (or minutes...) searching for whatever I just laid down).

Still, I cant get used to trading a little dexterity for speed, and usually, its worth the extra seconds, to me, to pick them up when I need them. I'd like to learn to tie while holding them, but for now, I dont.

I gave up trying after I stabbed myself more than a few times not paying attention. I pick them us as needed.

Fatman

I looked in the kit this morning and I am a scissor junkie. I have tried 7 pairs of scissors. AK Best liked this one: http://www.amazon.com/1570B-Quick-Cl...ref=pd_cp_hi_1 because he and Al Beatty melted a bodkin needle into the scissor so one tool became two .I bought a metal version of the Wiss scissor called a Gingher thread snips: http://www.sonomacutlery.com/store/p...roductid=16456

When it is all said and done I tie mostly with Anvil or Dr. Slicks. Main scissor is the arrow points and have made a big effort, not easy, to keep the scissor in my hand. But if it am tying to relax and not in production mode, I just put the scissor down but every time it's not where I look the first time, I tell myself that it should be in my hand.

Do it however it makes you happy. If you do everything with your scissors in your hand and all of a sudden you have an itchy eye, be careful.

Interesting scissors, although I prefer the Wiss style instead because I added a darning needle to serve as a bodkin, per A.K.'s advice. It really didn't take me long to get used to them and they definitely speed up my tying. Just a matter of preference.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i personally dont tie with scisssors in hand but these look interesting (i dont think theres anything new about them, probably been around for awhile)

http://singlebarbed.com/2009/09/14/s...ween-his-toes/
    I've tried tying with a pair of Wiss scissors - always thought they took up too much space in my hand. These might take up a bit less, but I'll pass.

I actually tie with traditional scissors outside my hand or on the back of my hand, something I first saw Jack Dennis do on some video - maybe "Gary Lafontaine and Friends."

1) Put your right index and middle fingers (assuming you're right handed) through the holes, facing away from the point. The point of the scissors should face away from the back of your hand. Most of the index and middle finger is free and there's really nothing in the palm.

2) When you need to cut something, simply take the index finger out of the hole and insert the thumb instead. This can be done one handed.

3) When done cutting, replace the thumb with the index finger.

This may be slightly slower (a second or so each cut) than the AK method but still saves significant time over putting the scissors down and picking them up.

It's also safer, believe it or not. Most of the manipulations the right hand does (if one is right handed) actually has the point facing towards your face and eyes. With the Jack Dennis method, the point is always facing away.

Smile Me, Too

I also picked up A. K.'s method with the Wiss Scissors,anda bodkin melted into the plastic handle,from one of his videos. I can't tie without them. I use the bodkin to help tie off my hand whip finish and an assorted other functions that call for a bodkin tool.

I tie with my siccors in my hand. Took some time (practice) to be able to do this. Can't really tie now without them in my hand, It does not feel right.

Rick

I tie with my scissors in my hand. Was shown a pair of Anvil scissors, by Warren P. It has offset finger holes, that make them easy to flip out of the way. I put a rubber band or surgical tubing on mine so they close by themselves. I had trouble cutting the thread with the scissors, part way open.

I don't think keeping the scissors in hand, makes the finished product any better. Just a few less steps.

Ron
    Last edited by rons81; 09-15-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

+ Reply to Thread