+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beach fishing

Default Beach fishing

My brother has never fished a fly in saltwater. I havnt either, but he is planing a trip to try it, most likely from shore. The question is, Where would be the best place to go? Florida? Texas? California? Your opinions are appreciated
    David

If I had the chance I'd go to Florida. I live in California and I won't say fishing is bad here but I believe (IMHO) there are more species available there in FL.
    Good luck.
    I don't know much about TX fishing but I'm sure somebody else can pass some info on that.
    I believe I can fly fish

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Cool here are a few good places!

I've fished the gulf coast from the Keys to Texas with a big gaping hole in the center, or the La, Al area. The Texas Gulf has miles of shorefishing opportunity as does the Gulf coast of Florida, esp in the St Pete/Sarasota area. I mention this as it's a quick trip from there to the East Coat of Florida which also has some excellent shoreline fishing. I would also give a bit of a nod to here and there from Maine to Florida but like some of Florida, Texas, Alabama and Louisiana you need to pick your area to dodge marshes, and such. Even the smallest floatable device such as a Small fiberglass covered styrofoam board with a cooler attached to the top to carry needed equip and drinks will get you across boat channels onto beautiful flats in much of the Keys and elsewhere. About that big hole I mentioned above. I've always heard that much of the fishing in those two states are done from boats due to marshy conditions, etc but really haven't pushed too hard to find out as there's more fishing than I have time in the areas I've mentioned. My three picks would be the Texas coast from Corpus to Mexico, The central Florida coastal area on both sides and the Florida Keys. For tops I'd pick the central Florida area, both coasts with Mosquito lagoon/Indian River and seashore one one side and the Tampa-Sarasota-St Pete area on the other.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby 2009 Dates: SEPTEMBER 13 - OCTOBER 17

For 64 years, the "Derby" has been a time to renew friendships, share a cup of coffee and create memories that fuel the winters exaggerated fishing stories. It is a time when all are able to refocus on the natural beauty of this island sanctuary. A time to lessen one's monthly commitments and enjoy the best the island has to offer. Over six decades of great fishing, great friends, and great memories! Come to the Vineyard this year and fish the Derby!
    Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Actually Mississippi and Alabama have decent beaches, Louisiana has a beautiful beach also but its a few miles from the mainland, the Chandlier Islands. The marsh fishing in Louisiana is excellent. That said for beach fishing I would head to Florida first, Texas second. There are fish available and people who can direct you. I don't think beach fishing is that common in the other areas and informaton will tend to center around the use of a boat.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Southwest Florida - Captiva and Santibel Islands. Sarasota south to Englewood Beach.

I agree with Dudley ....... This time of year the vineyard is hard to beat for shorebound saltwater fly fishing!

I must plug the Outer Banks of NC...huge bluefish and stripers...world record red drum...trout, flounder, albies, sharks, mackeral, pompano etc from the beach...they catch drum up to 90lbs...I used to live there...you can buy a permit to drive the beach at certain ramps...once on the beach you follow the birds...the bluefish blitz and striper blitz are legendary with 4lb trout beaching everywhere...just my opinion but we would make a day of it and even fish at night...now I am in Miami...most fishing here requires a boat or kayak but nothing quite like it...also fishing here is much tougher

9. Default Any GA info out there?

Ok, so are there places along the GA coast that would qualify as decent for waiding?

+ Reply to Thread