+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon Weight?

Default Fluorocarbon Weight?

I'ts kind of interesting to look at the Cabela's fishing line fluorocarbons.

Prices seem pretty high on some of them.
    There certainly is a variety...and a variety of characteristics.

Anyone know of any data comparing the actual weights [therefore the sink rate] of all of them?

Specific gravity averages about 1.7 +/_ 0.1. That is not enough to make much of a difference between the brands in sink rates. I believe it is better to buy on the basis of limpness, abrasion resistance, and "knotability". Which ones are "best" in these characteristics, I have no idea.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Default Cabela's

They make some great things but they think WAY too much of their leaders. I'd pay for Frog Hair for a little more or ANY other decent known fluoro for the same price.

Gigante...sorry I should have said Cabela's carries quite a variety of brands...

Silver, you may be right. I do know though that Jack and Warren are high on Berkely Vanish Transition because it is heavier and sinks faster.
    I'm wondering if some of these newer brands may have significant differences?????

I've been buying mono tappered leaders and using fluro material for tippet for the last two seasons. I find it much more abrassion resistant than mono. I buy Vanish in the 250 yards spools for this application. The end of the season sale on 250 yard spools was $5 each at Wally World this year and I stocked up. No need to pay $8 per leader.

Rick

Default mono to fluoro connect = bad idea

Based on what I've been told that can cause a broken leader because the fluoro can slice through the mono easily. I have no proof. Anyone? I do know that Vanish (which I love for my spinning gear by the way) is much larger in diameter than an actual fluoro leader. I'm cheap and I still think fluoro leaders are worth the cash when you can stand to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigante View Post
    Based on what I've been told that can cause a broken leader because the fluoro can slice through the mono easily. I have no proof. Anyone? I do know that Vanish (which I love for my spinning gear by the way) is much larger in diameter than an actual fluoro leader. I'm cheap and I still think fluoro leaders are worth the cash when you can stand to buy them.
    This past weekend I logged my 51 entry of 2009 and last year it had over 60 entries total. I've gone through a couple of 250 yard spools used just as tippet material and have never had it cut through the mono. I don't plan on making any changes. I also target carp as one of my favorite species so I am not using the vanish to just catch 6" brook trout.

Mono to Flourocarbon???

I always use 'mono' leaders and flourocarbon tippet for subsurface applications.

If you tie the knots properly, it's not a problem.

I use both the tripple surgeons and the blood knot to attach flouro tippets to mono leaders, and have had no difficulties with the trout, pike and smallmouth so far.

As far as which 'brand' of flourocarbon sinks faster, I have no clue. Too many differences from brand to brand. You can't just weigh the lines, since diameters vary quite a bit....in any event, I doubt that, even given the same diameters, the differences would be detectable by human observation in a fishing situation.

I used Vanish ($3.00/110 yards), Cabela's house brand ($13.00/350 yards), and Rio ($34.00/100 meters) flourocarbon for tippet all summer. The Vanish and the Cabela's are marketed as regular fishing lines, the Rio was 'flyfishing tippet material'. All worked equally well and I used them interchangeably. Fish showed no preferences.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I would think diameter has more to do with sink rate than actually line weight. When talking sinktips; smaller diameter = faster sink rate. Don't know if this is true for tippet or leader material.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Kerry, besides smaller I think they are more dense.

Well, Guys, I blew this one...I'm so used to using just furled leadsers I forgot to mention they were what I was talking about.
    A stated above Warren & Jack notice that Vanish Transition sinks faster when used to construct their furled leaders.

BTW, Welcome back, Buddy.....hope you had a great time.

+ Reply to Thread