+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Bug Hooks

Default Bass Bug Hooks

I am looking for a hook with similar proportions to the Tiemco 8089 but smaller than the 8089 size 10. Hooks roughly 1/2 and 2/3 the physical dimensions of the 8089 size 10 would be ideal.

The local shops do not stock bass bug type hooks other than Tiemco so I do not have a way to compare directly. As you know, hook sizes are not comparable between manufacturers which makes it hard to find alternatives and I do not want to keep ordering hooks online until I find examples of the appropriate size.

One of the local shops will order the hooks for me, but with minimum orders of 1000 we want to be right the first time (the shop will not require me to purchase all 1000).

These will be used for Dahlberg Divers and other hair bugs.

I have tied a small number of bugs on others styles of hooks but prefer the wide gape hooks since I feel the result in more hook ups.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 09-01-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Default Try these

Gamakatsu B-10S or their SL 11-3H. The #6 is about 2/3 the size of the 8089 and the #8 is about 1/2. They are both slightly heavier.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Bass_Bug Guest

These are all wide gap stinger style hooks.

Orvis #8810
    Mustad #37187
    Mustad Signature #C52S
    Daiichii #2720

If you want shorter you might try:
    Mustad Signature #C47S, #C70S or similar styles

Thanks. I'm familiar with the hook models from the catalogs but have been unable to make direct comparisons with physical specimans to ensure that I am getting a hook smaller in actual dimensions than the #10 TMC 8089.

Raw69's answer gives the specific info I am looking for by indicating a model and size that will meet my requirements. I am familiar with the Gama SL11-3H since I have used this in size 1 through 3/0 for fresh and salty streamer patterns. I can pick up some 6's and 8's at a local shop.

Would still like comparisons with the other models if someone can compare specific models and sizes to the #10 TMC 8089 as Raw69 did.

Look at Targus. Same numbering system, sizes etc. They have a size 12 in the 8089.

Kevin

If you go to this link on the Mustad website
    http://www.mustad.no/products/premiu..._catl/c52s.htm

and follow the directions you can print out a page that shows the hooks in actual size for comparison to your TMC hook. If interested in physical samples shoot me an email at jeff@mustad-usa.com and well ship some for review.

Thanks Jeff.

That function to print out a sheet with the hooks rendered in actual size is a really neat tool.

+ Reply to Thread