+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking pens for tying applications

Default Marking pens for tying applications

I did a search and found a thread from 2007, but some of those pens are no longer even produced, so I thought that it would be OK to revisit this topic.

I see many use the Prismacolor Pens, some use sharpies. I saw a package of 20 plus Sharpies at Wally World for less than $20 and thought those might work ok for coloring synthetics and marking up other patterns that just need a little manipulating.

So what do you use for markers? I really don't plan on using them that often and see no need to spend the big dollar, but I want something that really works and is durable. Open to suggestions before I buy the Sharpie set.

Rick

Rick,
    I'll just give my experience with markers. I don't know how others are fairing. I bought some Pantone Letraset markers at my local art supply store over 30 years ago (recommended by Poul Jorgensen in his book) . Re markedly they still mark well. The advantage I see in shopping at the art supplier is color selection. The markers can be purchased individually instead of finding unusable colors in a set.
    I have noticed that some synthetic material takes the marker better than others, so you need to experiment to find out if the material you want to color will make fast with the marker. The colors look good until they are fished for awhile, then fade.
    Others will have their say. Have fun making your decision.
    HW
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Normand Guest

i dont think brand names really matter. permanent/waterproof matters.

design art marker

chartpak

berol prismacolor

staedler lumocolor

pantone

sharpie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Normand; 09-04-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I use 'em all the time...all different ones. I use 'em for tying flies, and in my furniture repair and refinishing business to touch up and match stains. Like HW says, on flies they evetually fade, but I just touch 'em up as needed. I always have a black sharpie in my pocket at work at my machinist job, and mark nearly everything with it. I buy them in boxes of ten at the office supply... I've found the same thing about color selection at the art stores, and have many brands and colors on hand at all times. I recommend getting a few at a time and accumulating a vast color selection over time. Keep 'em capped when not in use, stored upright with the cap up, out of the sun & don't let 'em freeze. I too have some many years old that work just fine..........Modoc Dan

Dito to what MoDoc said, except for the use at the machine shop, I used to use them at the machine shop I worked at until I was laid off in January. But beside that they can be really handy and I even like to use them a lot for coloring the back of nymphs that I tied with tyvek, few dots with a dark color them color the top of the whole thing with a light color and bam... mottled nymph back.

Steve

The sharpies work great for the more basic colors. With the prismacolor, or other art markers, your more likely to find just the right shade of olive or dun.

Thanks for the many suggestions. Looks like a trip to Hobby Lobby or Michaels is in order. Come to think of it you can buy a 50 cent piece of foam and get a coupon for 40% off the next day from Michaels. If I want some the more expensive markers this might be a good option for saving a buck.

Will have to look at the colors more closely in the Sharpie pack than my quick look.

Rick

Normand Guest

check out that sharpie pack for the colors. if the colors represent the colors found in aquatic insects, then it should be a good deal. but if there it too many bright colors i would pass them up.

Oooooh no get the bright colors too, you can then color on things like white EP minnows and make so many slight effects that it will blow your mind..... I like that idea.... gotta go thinking about running with scissors!!! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO

Steve

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I use Prismacolors, because they have colors made specifically for coloring lures. They have the right shades for almost anything you want to tie. You don't want your great flies looking like they were colored with crayons, do you? I also like the fact that they have a broad tip on one end, and a fine point on the other. It makes life a lot easier. And, like most other things, you get what you pay for....

+ Reply to Thread