+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading Staff Tip

Default Wading Staff Tip

I like to keep my wading staff handy for a quick grab if I am fishing in water where I might lose my balance or my footing. Although I use a FolStaff that would deploy itself if I pulled it out of its holster and shook it, that is not fast enough for me. I want the staff fully extended and ready to grab.

The best way I've found to do this is to use one of the two piece magnetic net hangers. I attach one half of the net holder to my wading belt. The other half is attached to the lanyard for my wading staff, near the staff's handle. Voila! No more problem with the wading staff floating downstream to the end of its' lanyard.

Although this is a fairly obvious solution, I've never seen anybody else using it. Maybe this is because others don't feel the need for instant staff support.

Betcha didn't worry about that staff so much before you went on that diet and got so skinny.

Me? I just decline to wade deep anymore.

my fishing buddy has been doing that for years.

Excellent tip!

I use my staff quite frequently in more importantly for me getting out of the water..

Thank you....

Steve Molcsan
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 09-04-2009 at 12:47 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Have you ever seen these?

I can attest to their quality. I use them for many applications.

I keep my staff holster on my left side. I sewed a large button on the shoulder of my vest. I trimmed the staff lanyard so it just hangs down to my knees. I sling the staff lanyard over my shoulder & the button keeps it from sliding off my shoulder. It's easily accessible,,,,,,,,,

I have both my Folstaf and net handle attached to my vest.

I have a D ring sewn to the bottom left side of my vest. To the D ring is clipped to my Folstaf cord. Been doing that for years.

Next to the D ring is a piece of Velcro that is sewn to my vest. To that is attached a velcro removeable D ring that has a retractable plastic landing net coil that attaches to the handle of my net. The coils sell for $9.99 at fly shops.

The magnetic net release is on the top of the bow of my net and my net hangs handle down. I grab the handle of my net and if I drop the net, it is still attached by the velcro to my vest. If I want to take a photo of a fish in my net, I can just pull on the plastic coil to release the velcro and the net handle from my vest.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have my wading staff with me all the time. It will enable me to fish much longer at my age with knee replacements. I just attach the strap to a bigger carabiner. It stays extended and floats off to the side of me and out of the way. It is well worth any small inconvienance that it may cause just to stay dry. Don't leave home w/o it.

Yep, am at an age when I don't wade all that deep anymore (have gone to waist length waders to avoid temptation) and have my staff with me on all but the smallest streams. I just tie one end of the cord to my belt at a comfortable distance. Seems to work but am interested in other methods posted here.
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

+ Reply to Thread