+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paraloop

Default Paraloop

I really liked Ian Moutter's first book on fly tying and I'm now reading the book on the Paraloop style. Has anyone used this technique and what are your thoughts on it's affectiveness?

I haven't read his book, but I've tied and fished paraloops for the past couple of years. I really like them. They cast better than comparaduns for adult imitations, and make terrific emergers. I've especially liked them on spinners. More visible than spent wings, but still effective.

Chuck

Great book and great style of tying. Technique has been around for quite some time, but Moutter's is a very nice treatment, albeit with a European perspective.

To be honest though, I've never found the pullover/hacklestacker/paraloop patterns to be any more effective than more standard patterns. They are a great way to wow folks at shows, and I've caught fish with them, but I haven't found a situation yet where they've outperformed traditional patterns. I really like how they float but they are also very hard to see and typically lack wings which might be a shortcoming.

I have tied several patterns with this method. They have worked well for me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    I really liked Ian Moutter's first book on fly tying and I'm now reading the book on the Paraloop style. Has anyone used this technique and what are your thoughts on it's affectiveness?
    The Hacklestackers are very effective and fun to tie, once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure they are any more effective than other styles though.

I particularly like the paraloop hackle on emergers that I want to ride low in the water. One of my favorite patterns on which to substitute it is the Klinkhamer Special. Another of course is the Griffitt's Gnat because the hackle allows the body to sit in the film rathe than ride above it.

Jim Cramer

+ Reply to Thread