+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What REALLY burns my butt

Blog Entries

Default What REALLY burns my butt

And no - it's not a flame this tall..

We were at Costco last Sunday to get groceries etc.. (costco is a super warehouse store)

They have Christmas stuff out already.
    Is that wrong? Or is it just me?
    I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Blog Entries

While I agree in principal, I am inclined to cut Costco a little slack, Costco is supposed to be a wholesaler, IE they sell to stores to resell, so they should have it out a little earlier.

But I agree, I used to love the transition between Thanksgiving and Christmas When I was a kid, (wow do I sound old) the day after thanksgiving was a great day to see the window displays and the Christmas decorations in the stores and around town on street lights etc. That and the Christmas Music starting up on the Radio started off the season right. Now with it starting in September, all I am is burnt out by the time Christmas comes around.

Bah Humbug
    Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I am with you on this subject! It really burns me! Cracker Barrel has their Holloween stuff out plus their Christmas stuff!! I asked the clerk why and she said that they did not want their competition to get ahead of them!!! I told her that I hope God would forgive them all and walked out!!

How I long for the "good old days" when things had a value and true meaning.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Angry Similar complaints!

Hearing Christmas carols play right after halloween. Radio stations that switch their usual formate to nothing but solid Christmas carols immediately after Thanksgiving and continue solid Christmas carols until well after New Years Day. I love Bing Crosby's Christmas carols but IN SEASON only (like trout fishing). 8T

Cold Guest

I worked at a store in a mall for one Christmas season (October, thru to March) and at a UPS hub for another (again, Oct thru to the end of that calendar year).

That was enough to pretty much kill my enthusiasm for the holidays completely, with the exception of enjoying Christmas Eve and Day, and Thanksgiving Day. Other than those three days, I'm pretty much anti-holiday.

Red face

Y'all are lucky.

Up here everyone changes to Christmas mode right after Thanksgiving too, ... 'cept ... Canadian Thanksgiving is the second MONDAY in October!!!
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    And no - it's not a flame this tall..

We were at Costco last Sunday to get groceries etc.. (costco is a super warehouse store)

They have Christmas stuff out already.
    Is that wrong? Or is it just me?
    I'm thoroughly disgusted.
    I don't like it either you are not alone.
    Jon

Oh, I don't know. My local fly shop has the stuff I want for Christmas for sale all year long.

Blog Entries

I vote we start the Christmas season on 24 December, and have the decorations put away by the morning of the 27th. That leaves one day to celebrate and one to digest.

Bah humbug.

Cookie

In my neck of the woods, all of the big box department stores like Wal Mart, K-Mart, Kohl's, Target; even Home Depot & Lowe's have the Xmas stuff out just before or after Labor Day. It's been that way for years and I hate it too. Even Jolly Old St. Nick appears early, preempting the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or other local events as the "official" first Santa sighting for millions of kids.

Halloween stuff makes it appearance right after July 4th so they have room to display it after they put away all of the summer stuff. Don't look for a BB-Q grill or a lawn chair after August 1st but if you need a sweater or a plastic orange pumpkin, we got 'em in aisle 3!

Back to School stuff rears it's ugly head about a week after July 4th causing kid groans heard round the world.

Labor Day means Christmas and I guess Thanksgiving is just considered a "late bell" for all the non-brainwashed shoppers out there.

Valentine's Day stuff appears on December 26th, quickly followed by Easter candy and bunnies on February 15th.

After that hold onto your hat because they clobber you with Mother's Day, Father's Day, Graduations and before you know it...

...you are are back to July 4th displays, the day after Memorial Day!!

Personally I blame Hallmark for everything related to accelerated holiday schedules, displays and stupid holiday cards that they try to make you feel guilty about not sending.

It makes me glad I am a procrastinator when it comes to holiday shopping.

+ Reply to Thread