+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heenan Lake

Default Heenan Lake

I'm heading over to the East Slope of the Sierra's in a few weeks to fish a lake called Heenan. Having grown up on the rivers of Montana I don't have much experience with stillwater. I have only been able to get old reports on Heenan and they all say the same thing; black wooley bugger and prince nymph. Maybe I'm stubborn, but I wonder about midges, damsel fly's and flashy Mickey Finns. Can anyone help me out with any experience at Heenan...I'm not that stubborn and will take PN and buggers!

Default Heenan

I've fished it a few times and it is one of those hit or miss lakes. The good news for you is my best friend will be fishing there this weekend. I'll post a report for you when he gives it to me.
    It is a small lake best fished from a tube or pontoon. I'm assuming you know that it is only open fri.sat. and sundays through september. Bring a 5 or 6 wt rod and a floating and full sink line. Princes, scuds, wb's and leaches have worked for me in the past. I haven't tried midging there yet might be worth a shot. If you would like more info on the area send me a PM.
    Rich

Heenan Lake is managed as a Lahotan Cutthroat brood lake with special regulations. It is closed most of the year, open only from sunrise to sunset Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from the Friday before Labor Day through the last Sunday in October. This year the first open date will be September 4th.

For the latest info checkout the fishing reports at http://www.theanglersedge.com/FishReportB.htm

The lake can be subject to algae bloom. I'm attending an Alpine County Water Resources board meeting in Markleeville this afternoon, and if I have the time I'll drive up and check the lake. I'll post my observations here later if I make it.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Just returned from taking a look at Heenan Lake. Water level is about three feet below normal with lots of suspended green algae in the water so clarity is marginal. In these conditions I would fish an intermediate line with white, black, or purple woolly buggers. You might also try using a floating line with a snow cone midge and/or a zebra midge under an indicator.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Thanks guys, I was hope for better news on the lake, but we plan to fish several lakes and streams. Maybe we'll just sit in camp taking advantage of barley and hops and talk about fishing.

+ Reply to Thread