+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switch rod?

Default Switch rod?

Hello!

I have a question and this is just really a feeler for opinions. I'm new to steelhead fishing, up in upstate new york. Specifically Salmon River, in Pulaski, NY.

It's not a big river, and I think a spey rod is a little overkill. Maybe I'm wrong, so now I am looking into a few different options.

7/8 One of them is a switch rod. Something in the 11 - 12 foot range, 9 weight Possibly a Beulah rod? I am not sure of another company.

Or I was going to find a nice medium action 8 weight 10'0 single hand fly rod.

What are you opinions on this? What are the thoughts on a switch rod? How well does a switch rod cast single handed? How about two handed? What other companies make switch rods?

Again, it will be a very specific application rod. Steelhead/Salmon fishing in Upstate new york on Great Lake Tributaries.

Thanks for any and all advice and feedback.

In regards to the ultimate question of cost. I am looking for a rod not to exceed $400 bucks, and preferably American made.
    Last edited by Shakeyfly; 09-02-2009 at 02:10 AM.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

I use a switch rod for steelhead and sometimes large trout. I have two switch rods. Both in the 8 wt. range. One rod I built from a Dan Craft Kit and the other I purchased from Robert Meiser in Medford Oregon - he is a well known rod builder in the area and known for his switch rods. Both rods are 10 ft. There are other brands also. I chose Meiser because he took the time to talk to me over the phone. In fact, he used to have some loaner rods that he would let you use for awhile before you decided to buy.

when you get to 11 to 12 feet - or longer, your getting into spey range and probably too big for the small type of rivers.

The primary use for the switch rod - in my opinion - is that you can spey cast with it - but still have the single hand ability. Where I fish, there is usually a lot of brush, high banks, etc. that make single hand casting - other than a role cast - difficult to impossible. Being able to spey cast solves the problems of the interferences on the back cast. I also have a 14 foot spey rod 9wt - but it is too big for most of the rivers that I fish on.

Check out Robert Meiser Switch rods --meiserflyrods.com-- you can google him up and read his web site. Also call him directly and talk to him. I have found Robert very helpful and willing to share his knowledge. I was having problems with my technique and he offered to have me come up and go fishing with him for the day so I could work it out -- I didn't take him up on it but I appreciated the offer.

The idea behind the switch rod is that you can cast it like a regular 9 ft. single handed rod - or you can cast it like a spey rod. Be aware that there is a learning curve to learing how to spey cast. However, alot of what you use for spey cast can be applied to a single hand rod.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 09-02-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added meiser web address

Thank you for your response! I was looking at the RB Meiser's Rods and I was advice to seek Anderson Custom Rods as well.

What you are describing is exactly what I am looking for. Something longer than a standard 9 foot fly rod. I figured it would help with high sticking techniques and nymphing, but something smaller than a standard spey rod. I'm not fishing the Skagit, but I am fishing something where the bank cover can be very limiting to a standard cast, but the fish are out in the seems and rock cover a good distance out from shore.

Anyone here fish a Beulah rod? Does anyone know where this is manufactured? Whats the action like? Any quality issues or other problems?
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Beulah makes excellent rods (company in Oregon, not sure manufacturing), especially their switch and spey rods. Their fit and finish are exceptional and they have a great action for spey casts or overhead casts (medium-fast is how I would describe the it).

But, I'm not sure you appreciate what Orthoman was saying. A switch rod CAN be cast overhead like a single-handed 9' rod, but it is PRIMARILY used as a spey/double-handed rod. A 10' 6'' or 11' switch rod is a lot of rod to be casting overhead all day, even if the rod in question were a Orvis Helios, which is the lightest rod in the class (and most expensive).

So are you looking for a one handed rod with a bit more reach or a two-handed rod you can cast overhead? For the former I'd probably just get a 10' rod and leave it at that. If the latter, then a Beulah switch rod would be an excellent choice, in my mind. YMMV.
    Last edited by whatfly; 09-03-2009 at 09:03 PM.

FWIW a two-hander is NOT necessary on the SR unless you're fishing down around the DSR, and even then a single-handed rod will easily get the job done.

However - a short two-hander will help you cover water there, especially in flows above, say, 500 cfs (Pineville). Just because you don't NEED one doesn't mean it's useless - quite the contrary, fishing a two-hander almost anywhere is a WHOLE lot of fun, and the SR is no exception. Lots of guys up there are going the 2-handed route and doing extremely well!

Marty

Blog Entries

Smile Switch Rod

Shakeyfly,

Go with your gut and get the rod you think you really want.

I often cast an 11 foot Sage Z-Axis 6 weight all day. It is a switch rod but I only use it as a single hand rod. Works just fine and with an 11 foot rod you won?t believe the mends you can make and the reach casts. Maybe your river doesn?t require a spey rod, but I bet there are places on it where a spey cast will make it a lot easier, especially if you have a lot of brush along the edge of the river, or for those few large pools the river may hold.

A 7/8 weight in an 11 foot rod should do you just fine. There will be a short ?breaking in? period as you cast a heavier rod but once your muscles get used to it, no problem.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Thank you for the reply guys. I agree that a two handed rod is definitely not a necessity on the Salmon River. I have done ok with a 9 foot 9 weight rod, and roll casted out floating line and indicator ok. I just think at 10 foot - 11 foot rod would make the job a bit easier, and help with those high sticking and reach situations.

I got a response back from Beulah, and their rods are designed in OR and then China duplicates them, and then sends them back to OR for inspection.

The primary application would definitely be two handed roll casting, but it would be nice to be able to chuck out an overhand once in a while.

Thanks for the opinion guys! I'm moving into uncharted territory here! I've always practiced spey style casts on my regular fly rods, I just usually grabbed right below the reel. and I know these things are real spey rods just a nice medium.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

I have been steelhead fishing your Salmon River for over 20 years and I started with the spey rods in 1994. My favorite steel rod for that river is a Winston 12ft for 7 wt. spey rod. This rod is light enough to single hand and I use it that way frequently. This is also my favorite rod for the "Cat"; a good size Erie trib.

It is my favorite rod because the taper and tip are very easy on the light tippets frequently required for the steelies. This rod greatly increased my fish landing rate.

The 12ft is bit too much for smaller Great Lake steelie streams where I use a 10ft for 6 Sage XP or a 11ft for 7 Sage Z-axis Switch rod.

I like all 3 of these rods for Great Lakes steel, but the Winston 12ft and its taper is the best for my landing rate.

Using heavier rods- 8 & 9 wts. would certainly reduce my landing rate as those less forgiving rods would just part the light tippets on one of those steelies lunges. I think the Landing Rate is paramount.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I have been steelhead fishing your Salmon River for over 20 years and I started with the spey rods in 1994. My favorite steel rod for that river is a Winston 12ft for 7 wt. spey rod. This rod is light enough to single hand and I use it that way frequently. This is also my favorite rod for the "Cat"; a good size Erie trib.

It is my favorite rod because the taper and tip are very easy on the light tippets frequently required for the steelies. This rod greatly increased my fish landing rate.

The 12ft is bit too much for smaller Great Lake steelie streams where I use a 10ft for 6 Sage XP or a 11ft for 7 Sage Z-axis Switch rod.

I like all 3 of these rods for Great Lakes steel, but the Winston 12ft and its taper is the best for my landing rate.

Using heavier rods- 8 & 9 wts. would certainly reduce my landing rate as those less forgiving rods would just part the light tippets on one of those steelies lunges. I think the Landing Rate is paramount.

Max Thank you very much for you insight! You have given me a ton to think about. I am really leaning towards a 7 - 8 weight right now, and I agree, that a softer tip to protect the delicate tippets would be crucial. Those fish are defintiely line shy, and I find myself having to switch to 4 - 6 test flouro carbon at times. Compound that with a hard jumping fish and 1200CFS and I am amazed people land these things at all.

When looking at the switch rods what type of flex do you feel best suits the task at hand? Roll casting/spey casting? Does a Medium flex roll line better than fast?

Thanks Again!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

10. Default

i have a beulah 6/7 swithc for big trout and for some pinks and cohos and loove it, im new to spey so half the time i can go to overhead casts and its so easy, its not that heavy and it only takes like 2 false casts to lay out ALOT of line, so you would be fine casting it all day, im sure the 8/9 cant be that much heavier than the one i have, definetly something to consider, plus the two hand over head casts are pretty fun too
    tyler

+ Reply to Thread