+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Material sorting catagories

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Material sorting catagories

I was only half joking about a server to house a material database, and that was just the server part. I've seen a few different software products for material databases, and thought I just write my own. Creating a (simple) database is not the issue. The issue, and the question I'm asking everyone is: How detailed should the material be categorized, sub-categorized, sub-sub-categorized etc. This will just be an Access DB with a simple entry screen.

Feathers will likely be the biggest category, so lets focus on those to start. These are just a few ideas to give you an idea what I'm thinking.

#Hackle
    -saddle
    -neck
    ++dry
    ++hen

#Skins
    -Partridge
    -Pheasant
    ++Ring-neck
    ++Amherst
    ++Golden

#Misc
    -Ostrich
    +plumes

-Peacock
    ++herl
    ++swords
    ++eyes

-Duck
    +flank
    =Mallard
    =Wood
    =Teal
    +CDC
    +wings

-Turkey
    +flank
    +quills
    +marabou
    =plumes
    =blood
    +biots

Once I get a database structure (schema) defined the database tables are easily created from there. Then a simple interface entry system to add the actual data.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Bass_Bug, I sort of go like this:
    Bourban: Knob Creek
    Sour Mash: JD
    Scotch: Glen Morangie
    Then I move on to the beers.
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

You know, Access, and database in general, is the only Office program I was never able to teach myself.
    I guess it all depends on how detailed you want to get. For feathers, I would probably start with wet or dry, then species, type and color. Hair, I would just leave off wet/dry.
    Synthetics is where it is really going to get nuts. So many types, styles, colors and brands. Do EP Fibers and Congo Hair go in the same category?
    With Hooks, at least you have the mfr's description to work with.
    This sounds like a Major Undertaking.
    Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

Kirk

so are you going to cross ref them say like for trout salmon steelhead bass and crappie or such
    Ghost

Blog Entries

Shrinks speak of some disorder where folks claiming to be cooks spend all their time clipping recipes without ever building a cake...

Cataloging is a great idea, but will it help you find a particular material after someone else cleans your bench off just once? That is the real question, "How do you facilitate retrieval to build a fly?" I remember most of what I have, finding it is the problem and it gets more difficult every year...
    art

Managing inventory almost my entire life has made me realize, the accounting system is never the problem, it's the maintenance.

In other words, if your ultimate goal is to keep track of what you have on hand, you need to be EXTREEMELY diligent making entries to your database when you buy or consume materials. In the real world, smart fly shops have invoicing and purchasing to manage that and cycle counts to fix the errors that ultimately develop.

Without that, you will spend all of your time making database entries, doing cycle counts or a physical inventory; not fun.

Besides, it's whole lot more fun buying three spools of 8/0 black UNI thread only to find out you already have 6 at home!

But have fun with it regardless!

Bass_Bug Guest

Right now I have all my tying material in one big spreadsheet. The first column is sorted by general type. Feathers, hairs, dubbing's, yarns/chenilles/etc, threads/wires, hooks etc. The column are mainly color, hook columns are sizes. The database will do the same but will let me add more detail per item instead. When you have size AND color (think dumbbell eyes, stick on eyes, cone heads, beads and the like, you a spreadsheet for each item to get all the pertinent info listed. Hooks are very difficult to track in a flat file like this. If you have hook type down the side (wet, dry, streamer etc.) and sizes across the top (...6, 4, 2 ,1/0, etc), you need a line for every length, wire size etc..

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
    so are you going to cross ref them say like for trout salmon steelhead bass and crappie or such
    Ghost
    Not sure how cross referencing fish species would help organize material? When I'm looking for hair to spin for a humpy, muddler or Dahlberg diver, I'm looking for hair species or color not the fish I'll use it on. But that's why I'm asking for input because I don't have all the answers.

Coughlin, I like where your mind is, but....get your mind back on track!!

The idea behind this is to catalog the materials to have listed what I have, what I need, and want I want etc. I myself keep most of my materials generally separated. Feathers divided into different drawers in my cabinet, hair in another, all hooks in same area of desk etc. I don't see a need for a locater system, but thats just a matter of adding another field to each items database record.

The main thing is a classification system to separate as dictated by each items needs.

Part of the fun in rummaging through my desk drawers and tubs filled with material is finding something that either a. brings back memories, b. gives me an idea for a slightly differnet pattern or c. makes me say "holy crap where'd THAT come from?". Knowing exactly where to go to get my material wouldn't be much fun (to me anyways).

And there's all that maintenance (I develop/maintain databases for a living) ...

And the BIGGEST reason - if my wife ever got hold of my inventory list and actually sat down and figured out how much I've spent on all this stuff ...

well I don't even want to think about it.

Good luck Bass_bug
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Bass Bug,

Good luck, When I retired I considered putting together a data base and cataloging articles from my collection of angling magazines. I quickly gave it up as too much effort.

I've been tying and collecting materials for over 60 years ( fly tiers never throw anything away). About 20 years ago one of my friends (?) told my wife that I had more stuff than most fly shops. A few years into retirement I started working part time in a fly shop and since then my inventory has increased significantly. I once thought of doing a database like you are proposing and the idea lasted about a nano-second. I decided that it was much easier to keep my materials well organized. I have four oak cabinets with a total of 87 drawers, all labeled, for easy identification. Hooks are organized in a separate file for easy access. Surplus and bulky items such as bucktails rabbit skins and craft fur are stored in large boxes all labeled, and easy to access when needed.

Back to your database - the natural materials such as hair, furs and feathers would be rather straight forward because there is a limited number (although a large number) of different types. When you get into the synthetics - flash materials, misc body materials (braids, plastic ribbing, foam, tubing ....), synthetic wing materials etc etc; you would probably need to list by product name.

But back to your question as to how detailed the categorization needs to be depends on the information you want to access. In my mind I think of it as an organization chart and to be useful it needs to go as far down the chain as possible otherwise you are just recording generalizations.

For example - ( hope this makes sense)

Feathers

Chicken/Duck/ Pheasant...... (bird species)

Hackle/ Body/Quills (Feather type)
    ( From now on I'll expand on only the first item )

saddle/ neck/bulk (hackle type)

rooster/hen (sex)

dry/wet/salt (use)

natural/dyed (processed)

grizzly/brown/badger/ginger....... (colors)

10-12/12-14/14-16........ (size range, assuming each saddle will span two sizes)

1/2/3/4....... (quantity in stock)

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Jim Cramer

Darn it ,Jim, I could have saved the time reading your 2nd post and started a data base.

+ Reply to Thread