+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAOL Wiki Page

Cool

Ron,
    Purge our Queen Betty and you'll wind up with cement shoes in the Bay of Sicily!
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Purge Betty? Don't even go there!! What Little Brook said!

Blog Entries

I see where Wikipedia is going to editors for some pages now, to control the erroneous information potential.

The anybody-can-edit only works if the people who contribute are scrupulously honest, agree on everything, and actually are authorities on what they write. It also helps if they ALL know when to stop fiddling.

Since we are all fishermen and women, we all fail the first test, since all fishermen are liars at heart. Honest, it was twenty inches!

No two of us agree on ANYTHING, let along anything important or useful to others. The vast majority of this sport has no right or wrong, just indivudal ways of doing things, seeing things, etc.

And while many of the people here are certainly authorities on a wide variety of things, who gets to decide who the authority on felt soles is, for instance? Whose input would stay, whose would go when there is disagreement?

And, well, do ANY of us stop fiddling with things even after they are perfectly functional?

Just as a reminder, Fly Fishing 101 has an FAQ, and also includes a list of topics of interest to beginners.
    It seems a Wiki type page might be redundant. Granted, the page might could use a bit of freshening up, but the info is there for the uninitiated to peruse.

Kirk

Blog Entries

Bamboozle, I suspect that what you want isn't really a wiki page. I suspect that you want some sort of hypertext linked index of articles and informative posts. That would be easy enough to do , if somebody has a few months that they don't know what to do with.

Ed

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/FrontPage

Among my other quirks, I also shave the old fashioned way, with a straight edge razor or a double edge razor. Here is Wiki page for one of the shaving websites out there:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Main_Page

As you can see from the Badger & Blade website, lots of topics are covered on that Wiki including tons of FAQ's, that would otherwise require even more time responding to the repetitive questions, than organizing the info in the first place.

I really have no dog in this fight, it just seems silly to me for folks to constantly ask the same things over and over and over again without bothering to search for the answers. IMHO a central location to find those answers on FAOL without creative searching syntax would be a good thing.

It's still a good place if it never happens.

Blog Entries

Bamboozle, I stand corrected.

I suppose that policies regarding editting etc... would need to be established. Things set up. I don't know how it would affect the forum.

One of the reason that the repetition of questions being asked doesn't really bother me is that asking a question or two is a good way for a newcomer to break the ice and start posting. But some form of FAOLpedia would be good. There is an awful lot of knowledge available here.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread