+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Inventory is Growing Uh Oh...

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coughlin View Post
    Bass_bug, Crazy & 8,
    Ok, guys..I'm waaaaaay otta here
    Coughlin

Coughlin, if you understood that, I be heading to Philly with a bottle of Bookers Single Barrel to present in person!

Bass_Bug, your bourbon allowance is safe!
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

tennesseeflies Guest

Default hello

nice setup man

B-B,
    Not until it also places the order when you get low on something.

Kirk

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Bar codes

Crazy, thats the missing link, a re-ordering system!!!! Why didnt I think of that? Doh!

Now if only I could find a cheap hand-held bar code scanner??? Setting the UPC code as the key field in the database, COULD trigger an automatic replentishment 'shopping list'! I think we're onto something here. Iceman of course will get the first commercial version of the finished product.

Normand Guest

i have so much stuff i could restock a small fly shop. 29 years of collecting tying materials = alot of stuff.

if i did an excel spreadsheet and had a price column, my pacemaker would probably go off after i use the =sum formula!

Go to the dollar store and look for plastic shoe boxes. I've filled 4 of them so far.

I'm constantly finding a fly that needs "just one more material". Now I have four boxes full of stuff and I still need to organize it better. I keep finding myself asking "Where are my 2mm brass beads? Where did I put that black and purple flashaboo?"

When you have a dozen bobbins pre-threaded and still have 20+ spools on the side you're starting to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    When I started, I kept a small 4x6 spiral notebook with a list of materials so I knew what I had (or more importantly what I didn't) when I went to a fly shop. About a year and a half into,it morphed into what is now a 6 page computerized spread sheet with a font at the smallest readable size. The deer hair line only has 12 different colors checked and that';s just body hair, not belly or buck tail. I have the items sorted, catagory, like feathers, hairs, dubbings, threads, hooks, yarns, flash, hardware (beads, dumbells, conehedas etc.) and even lines, leaders and tippets.

About once a year I actually take inventory (usually a snowny January weekend) and mark whats getting low and what needs replaced. I also use the opportunity to straighten up/reorganize all the materials. After updating the spreadsheet on the computer, I print it and have ready for next trip to Cabela's, Bass Pro, Jann's, Gander Mt., or specific fly shop.
    Bass,
    You and 8T really need to get a hobby

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Wonder who wrote this????

I'd like to see the kitchen table big enough for some of you guys to do this on.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5320952_orga...materials.html

I'd bet TWO 4x8 ping pong tables would only be a START for many of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Crazy, thats the missing link, a re-ordering system!!!! Why didnt I think of that? Doh!

Now if only I could find a cheap hand-held bar code scanner??? Setting the UPC code as the key field in the database, COULD trigger an automatic replentishment 'shopping list'! I think we're onto something here. Iceman of course will get the first commercial version of the finished product.
    Cheapest I could find without spending a lot of time.

This is starting to sound to much like a business.

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread