+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-way radios for fishing safety-- but please be legal!

Default 2-way radios for fishing safety-- but please be legal!

My neighbor and fishin' buddy Ralph has a pacemaker. My Dad is 75. We live and fish in extremely rugged mountain terrain, with little to no cell phone coverage, and no phone lines. So, we ALWAYS carry radios.....also good if you have a really big fish on and need help with netting and a photo! And it means we don't have to yell and disturb others when fishing a lake on float tubes.

The latest FRS and GMRS radios are available *everywhere* these days, and they are incredible technology for a low price ($30-$80 for a pair of radios)-- far more powerful and useful than the 'walkie talkies' I had as a kid in the 70s. BUT -- please READ THE MANUAL that came with your radios before transmitting! I love my Motorolas, but they came set up for breaking FCC regulations.

The problem is that the FCC granted permission for dual-mode FRS/GMRS radios. FRS is limited to 1/2 watt and channels 1-14 -- it's for families and personal use, and requires no license. GMRS is for business and family use, but with more power -- up to 5 watts, with base stations and repeaters allowed. It *requires* an FCC license (no test needed, just pay your $80) and *requires* you to identify yourself with your call letters when transmitting. The reason for allowing dual mode radios is so the different services can communicate -- for example if a fishing lodge has a GMRS license, they can use their mountaintop repeaters and powerful base radio with tall antenna to talk with clients who are unlicensed and own FRS radios. The 'dual' FRS/GMRS area of the band is channels 1-7.

The reason for my posting? My nice new Motorola radios are dual band, and there was precious little info packed with them or from the store about the GMRS license requirement. AND, my radios were set up out of the box to transmit 1 watt on channels 1-7--illegal without a license!

I'm a licensed ham operator, and don't want to pay 80 bucks for a GMRS license. So, I set my GMRS/FRS radios to use only channels 8-14 at 1/2 watt. I was unable to set them to use only 1/2 watt on channels 1-7, they default to 1 watt -- that's Motorola's fault!

How much havoc will you wreak by operating on GMRS illegally, and will you get caught? Probably not much havoc, because these radios are in the 462-467 mHz frequency band, which doesn't carry well around obstacles. But there is a havoc potential! On a busy resevoir in summer, you could easily interfere with legitimate businesses like guide and boat services. And, wildland firefighters and disaster relief workers often use GMRS because they can install repeaters. If you accidentally pick a channel and tone code that trigger their repeaters, you will be talking about your big fish over a range of many miles, with dozens of people listening in whether they like it or not! And if you tick them off enough, licensed GMRS operators *WILL* turn you in to the FCC.

So, if you buy these marvelous little FRS/GMRS radios for fishing, RTFM (read the friggin' manual) before transmitting, and please set your radio to be legal.

NOTE -- in an emergency, all bets are off. You can do ANYTHING needed to get thru -- any power level on any channel.

And -- if you REALLY need to communicate, get your ham radio license. $14, an easy test (you might have to study for a few nights), and no Morse code needed. You can buy tiny handheld VHF/UHF ham radios for under $100, and you can use very high power compared to FRS or GMRS. Add in numerous mountaintop repeaters and telephone autopatch (you can call 911 direct!), and it's an incredible communications and safety tool.

Have fun, stay legal.
    DANBOB
    KC0VRD

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 22 December 2005).]

Danbob;
    Good info, thanks.

My son bought me a pair for the same types of reasons. They are great to have and I got to use them one time. Then we got flooded out and I lost them to the flood. I am hoping Santa will see fit to give me another set???? I have been a real good boy
    I do not have a very loud voice anymore and can't yell at all. If I fall in I can drown very fast so I have to be real careful. I have went to waring hipper's so I do not wade in to deep just in case. Hey you do what you have to if you want to keep fishing. Right? Ron

On re-reading my post, I want to clarify --
    if you buy FRS-only radios, you don't need to read the manual. They will be legal. It's only the dual-mode GMRS/FRS radios where you should verify your power levels and channels.

I agree on wading, RonMT-- I rarely go in deeper than my hippers, even when wearing my waders! Stuff happens FAST out in the wilderness, and help may be an hour away or more.

DANBOB
    KC0VRD

Hey Danbob,
    How long have you been licensed? I tried looking up your callsign and I could not find it in the database.

Clint
    W5CPT
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Licensed on public safety bands for 8 years with the Rist Canyon Volunteer Fire Dept.

Licensed as a ham for approx. 12 hours.
    <grin>
    I found out about my illegal Motorolas 6 months ago, and my new ticket prompted me to post about it now.
    DANBOB

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 22 December 2005).]

Congrats!! I figured it was a new one as the database went to KC0VRB. I've been a ham since the 80's. Welcome to what might become your second obsession (behind flyfishing).

W5CPT

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Am now holding my Cobra "micro talk" unit and don't have a clue as to the "rating". I do not have a license because it was not mentioned as a requirement when I purchased these radios. It's a great tool when fishing with a buddy in remote areas and that's where mine are used.I once had a cb radio an actually went through the pains of applying for an FCC permit ( quite a joke) I must have been the ONLY chump to apply.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. I work for one of those agencies that does wildland firefighting, and we are absolutely forbidden to use those kinds of radios. Which sucks because my contractors and cooperators use them all the time. We have our own system, and incidents like fires have their own assigned frequencies, as do all of the parts thereof (aviation, for example).

That's it, I'm going to buy a set of four FRS/GMRS units. I will go ahead get the required license to operate the GMRS. Thank you for the information. Is the $80.00 a one time only fee?

+ Reply to Thread