+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Default Uh Oh

I'm going to Jo-Ann's with the wife. I swear I'm just on a scouting trip?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Lots of good stuff at JoAnn's

Hi Steve,

Your tying inventory, mentioned in a previous post, may be growing considerably. Leech yarn, mohair yarn, thread, mylar tubing, beads are all available at very reasonable prices compared to fly shops. But it's just a scouting trip so .......... 8T

Can u use sewing thread for fly tying???
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Bass_Bug Guest

If popper boddies can be made from th flip flops, it's safe to say one can use anything for fly tying. As for thread, you're not saving any money, unless you already have the thread and then you have to know what it's made of. Most sewing threads are cotton, polyester, or a blend of the two. Very different then nylon thread made for fly tying. Sewing thread generally does not have the size range as tying thread either. You definitely do NOT want to use cotton thread.

Cold Guest

My local Jo-ann's has packs of more goose biots than you'll use in a year for $1.50, guinea feathers, pheasant "church window" feathers (on the skin!), and lots of other good stuff for cheap.

Ice,

If you think for a minute that we believe that all I can say is "OK Pinnocio", don't let that old nose grow TOO long

Fatman

"You definitely do NOT want to use cotton thread. "

Gee, I wonder what they used before all these new fangled synthetics came out?
    Bet it was whatever they could obscound with from Mom's sewing basket.
    (I know that's where I started...)

I bought my sewing machine at Joanne's Fabrics.
    Yes... MY sewing machine.
    Last edited by Sonny Edmonds; 09-01-2009 at 01:37 AM.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    "You definitely do NOT want to use cotton thread. "

Gee, I wonder what they used before all these new fangled synthetics came out?
    Bet it was whatever they could obscound with from Mom's sewing basket.
    (I know that's where I started...)

I bought my sewing machine at Joanne's Fabrics.
    Yes... MY sewing machine.
    Yes, back in Walton's day (a few hundred years ago), cotton was likely the only thread available. However, the properties of cotton are far from ideal for a modern fly lasting very long, thats all I'm thinking. But since you put it that way, I will retract that statement before I get lumped in with the purist crowd who would say that only proper materials should be used if one is to call it "True Fly Tying"!

And here I thought It was simply using a durable thread that is not biodegradable? What was I thinking???? Oh bother!

(By the way Sonny, I dont have my own sewing machine, but I do sew up my own rod bags, on Lady_Bug's machine)

Nothing wrong with a guy knowing how to sew, it actually impress's the ladies when you do it!!!!!!!

Fatman

Sewing supply shops have monofilament sewing thread that works very well for fly tying, or at least what I call fly tying. But for me a 20 is as small as I am attempting and usually larger than that. There no sense tying it if you can't tie it on.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread