+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate back to school....

Default I hate back to school....

So here it is, that Sunday that I DO NOT look forward to. Each summer, my fishing partners (my two sons) and I always find a way to sneak away and get in one more "Bluegill Bash" before going back to school. The up side was Son #2 was staying at home while #1 went off to school in Boston.

But this summer, this Sunday is bittersweet. #2 goes to college - he moves into his dorm today. #1 leaves this weekend.

So Sunday afternoon in the middle of all the packing, all of the turmoil, I quietly slip 3 rods and 3 bags into the truck. I tell Mamma that the boys and I have an errand to run, and by now she knows what we're up to....we're going "bluegill bashing". She smiles and we share a knowing look....I'm loosing both my fishing partners this year.

We go out to our favorite pond and I quickly catch a few 10" and larger bluegill then I sit down and watch. I watch as my boys have become accomplished fly fishers and casters. I watch as they compare fish and poke each other as to whose fish is bigger....

I take a few pictures as the sun starts to go down over the hill when #1 looks around and sees me sitting on a rock just watching. He tells me "Dad, we'll be back at this pond before you realize it". He knows.

I'm a blessed man.

Son #1 (Senior BioChemistry major):

Son #2 (last fall with his largest LM on a fly) (Freshman Mechanical Engineering major):

Enjoy college boys, I'll miss you....
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

SonofMartin,

I know what you mean. I moved my daughter (freshman) to her dorm last week and my other fishing partner started his sophmore year of high school. We hardly fished at all this year for a variety of reasons and now one is gone and the other is pretty busy. Congrats on getting that "errand" taken care of.

Hopefully we can squeeze in one more outing before the end of the season.

Take care,

Mike

Yep, you are a belssed son of a...Martin
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

My son just started his Jr. year in High school, sure dose go fast
    I can imagine your feelings of joy and being a bit sad at the same time
    but for sure bottom line is your blessed,

Fine looking young men you've raised there!

Congratulations..

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

You have no idea how quickly they slip by, I am sure it was just year before last that I bought my 3 year son an extendo pole and he caught his first bluegill on a cricket. He called last night and talked with his Mom to give tell her about his scores to go back to school and get his PhD, he will reach 40 years before he finishes his first year.

I can't be old enough to have a 39 year old child. I just celebrated by 49th birthday for the 14th time.

Enjoy them while you have them, I love my son but he has no interest in fishing any longer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Nice looking kids.
    My fishing buddy Mike and I used to go for a week in the mountains after labor day but since his dad's stroke he is not able to leave. \
    My wife is a school teacher so she will be out of the house starting monday.
    My summertime fishing buddies are my grandsons. They start back the day after Labor Day. Maybe I'll help my lady get her classroom ready the first 2 days, then take the grandsons to the mountains for one more outing. Thanks for the idea son of martin.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Thank you for the comments about the boys. We are very proud of them. Good thing they got their Mamma's looks and brains!

Update: Son#2 called last night. Seems his new roommate, and the boy across the hall are all flyfishers! He asked if he could bring them home over labor day so we could all hit the pond together! I can see it now.............bluegill, grilled burgers...... maybe I just adopted two new sons?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Bass_Bug Guest

My nephew is starting at University of Cincinnati in a few weeks. 65 miles give or take. Good news is I know of a fly shop just off campus, so I see a visit or two every quarter!

A good thing about back to school: sales on many school items that can be used at the fly bench.

thats a couple of great young men you got there! good job!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Thanks for comments about the boys. We are very proud of them.

Update: #1 announced he feels a call to ministry. He decided to tell us this at 11:00 pm last night packing the last of his stuff. He feels called to teach science / biology / chemistry in public schools. Wow - he's headed into his senior year!!!

For those of you of faith, please pray for him and for the finances. Seems he will need an extra semester plus student teaching. I suggested he go straight towards his masters then teach. Lots happened last night!

Update #2: #1 pulled out of the driveway this morning at 7:30 headed toward Boston. I swear the cat was crying, I couldn't tell through my tears....now it's me, mamma and that old cat. At least he gives up good dubbing!
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 08-30-2009 at 03:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread