+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mono Furled Leaders

I use the 4m for the 4 to 6 weight and the 7 for 7 thru 9 weight.

Joni;
    I'm using 6 & 6 for a total of 12 in the butt section. Yes a furled leader swap would be great. It's been about 3 years since the last one and I'm sure we've found lots of materials and tricks since then.

I make the start and end loops approx 1/2 the distance between pegs 1 & 2 for a 12/10/8/6 taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Joni;
    I'm using 6 & 6 for a total of 12 in the butt section. Yes a furled leader swap would be great. It's been about 3 years since the last one and I'm sure we've found lots of materials and tricks since then.

I make the start and end loops approx 1/2 the distance between pegs 1 & 2 for a 12/10/8/6 taper.

Cool, I can't wait to try one of your leaders. I am going to start a new POST for this swap, so jump in again if you would, guys.

From my experience( which isn't much ) it's probably the formula. I've just made up a few 5's out of Cortland 2# Camo line & they look pretty good & Turn over pretty well, The only problem I've noticed is that they stretch, I had a good fish on & he spit the hook & the leader twisted up something awful as it bungeed back. I had a heck of a time untangling the leader, tippet, flies, & indicator. I'm wondering if the best solution is to put 1 strand of spider wire in the furl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Joni;

Same pattern here as well, I use 6/0, 8/0 Uni, Danville Mono, 6# Trilene Vanish, 4# mono and .015 sewing thread nylon and Braid(do not care for braid, by request only) .

Quote Originally Posted by Fry Flier View Post
    Same pattern here as well, I use 6/0, 8/0 Uni, Danville Mono, 6# Trilene Vanish, 4# mono and .015 sewing thread nylon and Braid(do not care for braid, by request only) .
    And you don't find the 4 lb. HUGE compared to the Uni? I guess the slimness of mine is what makes them attractive to other ff.
    I do a different taper however, but even the 6' are easy as heck to cast by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    And you don't find the 4 lb. HUGE compared to the Uni? I guess the slimness of mine is what makes them attractive to other ff.
    I do a different taper however, but even the 6' are easy as heck to cast by hand.
    The 4 lb. I furl is a bit thick but the fishers here use them for bass bugs and larger deer hair flies. The 6 lb. Vanish is used here for Pike, Muskie and heavy bass slop fishing.

Here is a copy of the little description sheet that I have sent out to the fly shops that carry my leaders.

Trouter excellent dryfly, fish wet as is or apply floatant and it is a floater (I use Red Mucilin myself) Breaking Point 7.5 pounds, 6/0 Uni

Finesse excellent dryfly, fish wet as is or apply floatant and it is a floater (I use Red Mucilin myself) A bit tougher then Trouter but not as soft.
    Breaking Point 10.5 pounds, .004 Nylon

Basser excellent for weed and heavy cover, fish wet
    Breaking Point 18 pounds, 4 pound Mono

Game Fisher excellent for toothy critter, fish wet for Musky, Pike, Walleye and large fish like Carp. A good Saltwater leader as well, sinks great.
    Breaking Point 45 plus pounds, 6 pound Fluorocarbon

I get that. For me, it is more wraps and on occasion, a secret ingredient.

+ Reply to Thread