+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balsa Bodies

Bass_Bug Guest

I tried sharpening the inside with a round file and it worked ok, but sharpening the inside makes the initial O.D of the 'plug' bigger. The deeper you go in the product the tighter the plug gets. This probably isnt as much an issue in a flexible foam but somthing less flexible gets compressed, the deeper you go, the harder it is to push thru.

Balsa floats like cork, but will eventually absorb some water if not sealed. I seal with epoxy before painting.

Bass_Bug Guest

Gandolf,

Thanks for tip. I've never seen those before. A brief 'net search showed set on Amazon from $13 to 30 for the few sets I saw. Also the Sharpener runs about $7. It appears the sharpener cuts the outside edge, and the cone just stabilizes it. Is that correct?

A homemade dowel plate should also work well with the balsa (but not with the foam). It's an old woodworking technique.

Hi Bass Bug,

That is correct, the sharpener sharpens the outside, and the cone portion stablizes the inside. You have to be careful using the sharpener, though, because if you are not careful you can bell out the inside of the boring tube, rather than keeping the inside of the tube at a constant diameter.

I like to use the sharpener to get the angle about right, often using the results as is, but if it is really critical sometimes use a small very fine file. A small round file that again has very fine teeth is also handy to clean up the inside edge after sharpening.

When you use the sharpener, use only minimal pressure and use it to cut slowly rather than force it to cut as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Gandolf

Hi Bass Bug,

Also should have mentioned, I use one from work (the hand power drill press type) to cut foam flip flops to make foam popper bodies. It works pretty well.

Also, pick up some glycern from the drug store to use as a lube on the tubing cutter. It has been used as a lube on cork borers for at least 50 years, and I wouldn't be surprized if it has been used for 100 years.

It works well as a lube, and is water soluble, so after you are through cutting foam popper bodies, water will wash the lube off of the foam.

I decided to add this after seeing the post on the foam poppers.

Regards,

Gandolf

Hi Gandolf,

Chemist eh? I sent you a message.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

I was wondering if you could get the dowel rods and use them to make the bodies? Seem to have a hard time finding balsa wood.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I was wondering if you could get the dowel rods and use them to make the bodies? Seem to have a hard time finding balsa wood.
    Model air plane stores have all sizes of balsa -- read my post on the first page about bying a 2x2 block that will make hundreds of pencil and small poppers. The model store also sells all sizes of tubing for the cutters. The cutters can be used for foam bodies. BILL

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    You could, but its harder to work with, and heavier. The way I cut slots for the hook, I don't think you'd ever get them deep and straight enough in dowels, unless you have a band saw (but that seems like it would be very dangerous). If you have any dowels or scraps, give it a shot (not the band saw), and see what happens.

Every Hobby Shop, and most big craft shops sell balsa wood. Basswood is closer to pine than balsa in density (but a tighter finer grain) and is also readily available (sold as 'whittling blocks'). Jann's Neftcraft and many lure making sites carry basswood, never seen it in dowels though.

+ Reply to Thread