+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono Furled Leaders

Default Mono Furled Leaders

Today was the first time I tried the 6' mono furled leaders that I bought on eBay.
    I attached 4' of 5x of fluorcarbon but the leader didn't turn over nearly as well as the 5' uni thread ones.
    The leader which was rated for 3-5 weight rods,was attached to a 4WF SA line.
    It really required the rod to be loaded before the leader would lay out straight.
    The uni thread leaders turned over with very little effort.
    I was wondering if there is a real difference between the uni thread and mono furled leaders as far as casting is concerned or is it just me.

Quote Originally Posted by supersenior View Post
    Today was the first time I tried the 6' mono furled leaders that I bought on eBay.
    I attached 4' of 5x of fluorcarbon but the leader didn't turn over nearly as well as the 5' uni thread ones.
    The leader which was rated for 3-5 weight rods,was attached to a 4WF SA line.
    It really required the rod to be loaded before the leader would lay out straight.
    The uni thread leaders turned over with very little effort.
    I was wondering if there is a real difference between the uni thread and mono furled leaders as far as casting is concerned or is it just me.

Dude, pm me an address and I will send you a 5' or a 5 1/2' or a 6' (your choice) "UNI MONO 4m. Like to hear your feelings on it. Mine is a 4 to 6 weight class

I was also going to say, yes the mono are a little stiffer. The tapers I use are pretty good though.
    I like the MONO in the colder months as thread leaders were sticking to the rocks...so, I started using the UNI MONO. Fell in love with it. Not as stiff as MONO

Very interesting!!!!
    What mono was used may be the answer.

I make my 7' Mono leaders from 4# test Berkley Extra Limp line and they turn over better that the 7' Uni ones?

I give each of my leaders a couple of test casts before packaging them.

It may also be the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Very interesting!!!!
    What mono was used may be the answer.

I make my 7' Mono leaders from 4# test Berkley Extra Limp line and they turn over better that the 7' Uni ones?

I give each of my leaders a couple of test casts before packaging them.

It may also be the formula.

Jack, how many wraps are you using in the BUTT section. MAN! 4 lb makes some HUGE leaders, but I am doing 7 wraps so 14 total.

Jack, you interested in a Furled Leader swap? For that fact, is any one else interested in a swap?

I'd sign up for a swap...

what in the world is 'uni mono'? lol

p.s. - if we do a swap may I suggest that recipe's / materials be included with the leader?

oh - I went searching for your 'ultra limp' line lol... was not having ANY luck finding it, and then I was I was looking on Cabela's website I found it as a description of the following product (can you verify if this is correct I'd like to try it I need to order some more leader anyway)

Berkley Trilene XL? Smooth Casting Line
    Super strong, extra-limp Berkely Trilene XL? comes off the spool smooth and straight for long, accurate, controllable casts and natural lure presentation. Available in Low-Visibility Clear, Ultra-Low-Visibility Green, and High-Visibility Fluoroscent Clear/Blue and in 330, 1,000 and 3,000-yard spools.

Fair enough. Uni Mono is put out by UNI...LOL in 4m and 7m

http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/produits.asp#
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 08-25-2009 at 12:31 AM.

so what pound test does the 4m or 7m equate to? how many leaders do you get out of a spool?

+ Reply to Thread