+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB's

Default BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB's

Got any McGinty's?http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...1&d=1251130232
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Best pan fish fly there is
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have never had luck with bee's...

Blog Entries

If I were going to tie bees I would buy or make these, have to be easier and more durable than fur or hair

Eric

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/mas_asse...50090-0000.jpg
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Nice fly.
    Much better than the bee I made couple of years back.
    I must admit I didn't catch anything on it, it would be interesting to know if you cought something on this one.

Thorarinn.

Quote Originally Posted by thorarinna View Post
    Nice fly.
    Much better than the bee I made couple of years back.
    I must admit I didn't catch anything on it, it would be interesting to know if you cought something on this one.

Thorarinn.
    I am an impressionist when it come to fly tying for the most part. I agree with exact imitation in certain circumstances but for the most part I depend on shape and size.
    Yes this fly catches fish for me. I think it is a matter of confidence and many "attractor patterns" do the same job.
    I like the fly because Hemingway mentions it in a few of his stories and I can relate to history.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Bass_Bug Guest

I tied some for a swap a couple years ago. The pattern I used, had chenielle for the body. The hardest part for me was getting the wings right.

Hairwing, is that a dubbed body?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    I tied some for a swap a couple years ago. The pattern I used, had chenielle for the body. The hardest part for me was getting the wings right.

Hairwing, is that a dubbed body?
    BB,
    The body is dubbed poly-pro. I also tagged the fly with gold tinsel. Kinda like fins on a '57 caddy but it appeals to me.
    I fish it dry and the poly-pro helps keep it on top for me. White calf tail in the wings lets me see it from a good distance away.
    HW

Bass_Bug Guest

It looks good HW, I'll have to try that kind of body. I tied mine to a tradition McGinty Pattern with red hackle tail, slip wings, and hackle throat. I have a few in my fly box, but those are the prototypes from teh swap and they have pathetic wings (hence no pic posted). I've had a spun deer hair McGinty on my "patterns to try" list for awhile. This thread just got that pattern bumped to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Best pan fish fly there is
    At more than a few streams I fish, a bee is a killer trout fly as well. They are especially effective in August and September when the Yellow Jackets are abundant.

I tie my bees using Bill Skilton's foam Yellow Jacket Bodies. On the simpliest version, I just lash the foam cylinder to the hook in the middle and wrap hackle at the tie in point, no wing necessary.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 08-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread