+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyna-King Handle options

Default Dyna-King Handle options

I have seen some weird handles at tying shows on Dyna-King Barracudas. Some of these are no longer in production. I looked on the DK website and saw no options available. Is there someone who sells a speed handle as an aftermarket type of arrangement. Appreciate the push in the right direction.

Rick

The Ron Abby Signature and Sidewinder models both have crank handles. The Signature is being discontinued and the site says only 100 are left.

I have the Signature model and really like the advantages that having a crank offers. It allows easy, even spacing of ribbing and faster wrapping of body materials and hackle. I got mine through Hook and Hackle and at the time they had a combination of discounts that gave me 20% off.

Away for the weekend fishing. So do they sell just the handle anywhere?

I don't like the handles at all and have had the factory put the brass wheel on three vises for me. I really like spinning with the palm of the hand rather than cranking. Everyone will have a personal preference. I'd call the factory to see what can be gotten..

Called Dyna-King yesterday and they said that they do have some of the Signature style handles available for $40 and that I could put it on myself. They also have this type handle and it was less than $20.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Dyna King Handle

Is there a part number for the handle, so when I call I don't screw up and order a new vise!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Is there a part number for the handle, so when I call I don't screw up and order a new vise!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

I tried to look up part numbers but failed. There are two handles available
    1. Dyna-King 90 degree Handle Extension
      $17.00
      An optional addition to the Barracuda vises providing convenience when rotary tying.
    2. Dyna-King The Ron Abby Signature Vise handle $40 otherwise known as the sidewinder
    Need to contact us?
    info@dyna-king.com

(707) 894-5566
    (800) 396-2546
    (707) 894-5990 (fax)

If you do buy one, let me know, since I just bought the profile plate and the extended 3" waste basket and skipped the handle at this point. Would love to know how you like either handle. Please confirm when you call but I believe that the Signature handle looks like this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clay; 08-28-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: put a better photo in this thread

Clay-I have some input for you on the sidewinder handle style. I have that handle (Brass wheel with small handle) on thre vises.. I tied a few flies and notices that I used the handle a little more than I did palming the wheel. But I use both methods of turning and do so without any thought. Just caught myself and thought I'd pass this along.

So do you prefer this handle option to the standard verticle handle that comes with the Barracuda?

I see how you could just palm that larger, wider wheel as well as use the horizontal handle.

Does the horizontal handle rotate or is it fixed?

I had them add this to an Indexer, and the other vises (signature and Tube Vise) came with this set-up if i remember correctly. I do not care for the standard crank-at all. Had them put the Sig. style handle on the Indexer. I Like it.

Yes the handle on the brass wheel rotates too. I try to keep everything lubed and it is a smooth set up. The brass has a patina now and is not bright like new. I don't bother polishing the brass..
    Last edited by flymaker2; 08-31-2009 at 05:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread