+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wow!! furled leader is great

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Turvold View Post
    thanks for the help. It'll be a few days before I can get back to the stream but that's OK because I'm going to have to practice making perfection loops...knots and I don't get along very well.
    I'd just like to pass along a tip.

Something I tried, that REALLY helped me while learning perfection loops was to pick up a cheap (and I mean CHEAP, like $1) metal knitting hook from a craft store.

When I started tying perfection loops, I held the forming knot between my left thumb & index, and used my right hand to maneuver the tag end. Soon I figured out that my first loop was only for tightening the second, "working" loop, so I try to make that first loop as small as possible, only big enough to fit my working loop through.

At any size, though, the most maddening part of the knot was getting that second loop through the first, and getting it to stay there long enough to tighten everything down.

Enter the hook.

Once I got all my first loop, working loop, and securing wraps in place, I just pinch all that in my left hand, then with my right, I take the hook and slip it through the first loop, hook the working loop, and pull it back out to tighten.

Easy as can be!

Within a few months of tying a perfection loop every time I retied tippet, I got to the point that I didnt need the knitting hook, but during my learning time, it really, really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Turvold View Post
    thanks for the help. It'll be a few days before I can get back to the stream but that's OK because I'm going to have to practice making perfection loops...knots and I don't get along very well.
    Jim,
    try the surgeon's knot loop...very simple...double or triple...most folks seem to use triple but I use double [including on fluorocarbon ] and don't seem to have a problem.

I agree with Duckster. The surgeon's knot loop does come out quite as pretty (centered) as the perfection loop, but it preforms just as well. When I'm in the field and in a hurry, I use the surgeon's loop and never had a problem.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread