+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumbest fish?

Default Dumbest fish?

After taking this picture I released the bass. While I was putting the camera away he took the same fly again as it dangled in the water downstream of me.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

While fishing in Virginia I hooked a LMB which broke my leader after a short stuggle. Tied on another fly exactly like the first and the bass took the 2d fly. I landed the fish ,retrieved the lst fly & sent the fish on its way.

Tim

You say dumb fish, I say good fly.

Did you have a talk with the fish? I would have-- "We need to talk, it's obvious you have problems, and honestly you are taking the excitement out of this for me..I think it's time to start seeing other people"

Blog Entries

Default Congratulations!

the anglers posting these stories should be congratulated for treating the fish so well that they felt good enough to keep eating when released. there are skeptics who think released fish all keel over and float away belly up. 'tain't so if you do it right!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

While fishing in Virginia I hooked a LMB which broke my leader after a short stuggle.
    Aww now---Panman, I can say without a doubt that the fish in Va. are VERY smart since I can't seem to catch too many. Don't go knocking our fish over here too hard.

George

Blog Entries

Fishing a stream in northern California one winter, I had a grab on the swing at the end of the drift. Set the hook, one head shake, and gone. Sighed, tied on a new tippet and fly, made one cast, had a grab on the swing at the end of the drift, and set the hook. A short time later, a 10# wild steelhead came to the shallows. I could see the fly in the corner of his mouth. Reached down and unhooked it, pulled it away...and three feet of tippet came with it, but my line still pointed at the fish. Rolled the fish over, and in the opposite corner of its mouth was the fly I had actually landed it on. The first one was the one I had just broken off.

Anyone who tells you steelhead are smart...

I don't know about dumb fish, but my first fish at Rocky Ford in Washington took a bead head pheasant tail nymph. I fought with him for a few minutes and *ping* he came unbuttoned. I watched as he swam away. I reeled in the line and found a hook that had straightened out. Hence the reason for loosing the fish. So I took my hemostats and put a curve back in the hook and cast to the same fish again. He took the fly again and this time I landed him. I wonder if he thought the second fly was any better than the first.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread