+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need opinions

Default need opinions

Again Im a newbie. But anywho... My chest pack/backpack showed up from cabelas today . It came with it an add for various things on sale. One of the items listed was Hodgman packable waders for $40 normally $100. It says that they pack into their own pocket. lightweight and BREATHABLE. Im sure they are not the best but the only time I would probably wear them is a few times a year. Would you buy them? I am seriously thinking about going back out there and picking up a pair, plus they have the clogs Ive been looking for for 60% off.
    Your humble opinions on the waders please
    David

David,
    My opinion on those waders, as with most items purchased, is that they are only as good as the Company who sells them. My dealings with Cabelas have only been good & I feel if the waders are not up to par, they'll make it right. It is certainly a substantial savings for waders that will get light use, so I say, "Go for it". Also, the Hodgman stuff I've owned in the past has done fine.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey David, I agree with ohiotuber, if you're not going to use them every single day they'll do fine. If you see signs of premature wear you can always take them back to Cabela's. That's a good price for waders, Hodgman is a good brand.
    Good luck in the water.

Never had a bad experience with Cabelas. Go for it.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up I would give them a try!

Hi DBM,

I've had only good experiences with both Cabela's and Hodgman. I'm still using my first pair of Hodgmans after seven years of hard regular use. I don't see how you could go wrong. 8T

I am pretty hard on gear. I got 10 fishing days out of my hodgeman breathables before they started leaking. I got 100 days out of my orvis proguides before they started leaking. You get what you pay for.

I patched both of them up, and my proguides made it another 30 days before their second leak, the hodgemans only made it another 10 days. I am never buying another pair of hodgemans again.

Thanks guys, thats what I was wondering. I have never had a bad experience with cabelas, and I know that they typically stand behind what they sale. I just didnt know if they were going to be some cheap throw away quality that would tear at the seams the first time I put them on. I am going out there tomarrow after work.
    David

Cold Guest

I got 10 fishing days out of my hodgeman breathables before they started leaking. I got 100 days out of my orvis proguides before they started leaking.
    Geez...no offense, but you ARE pretty hard on your gear. I've been using a pair of Orvis clearwaters for at least that long with no leaks, and no obvious wear in sight.

@OP: I have a pair of hodgeman hip boots that have served me well. My biggest gripe with them is that one of the snaps doesnt like to snap or unsnap, but that's my fault for stepping on it in a parking lot while putting them on and bending the metal of the snap. Other than that, they've been a good buy.

Blog Entries

For $40, your risk is minimal and your return might be great, as in having waders with you one day when you decide on a whim to fish, and you catch that 25" brown...

I stocked up on wading boots this spring when the local shop had a closeout on some cheap ones. For $25 a pair, tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Geez...no offense, but you ARE pretty hard on your gear. I've been using a pair of Orvis clearwaters for at least that long with no leaks, and no obvious wear in sight.
    Every fishing trip i hike on average of 3-4 miles out of water with quite a few 5-7 mile trips as well. Pushing through brush patch after brush patch is pretty hard on waders.

I understand i am in the top 1% for wader wear, i just thought i would give my opinion on how much better i think the high end waders are.

+ Reply to Thread