+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visiting to Florida

Default Visiting to Florida

Hi guys, I'm a South African doing a little research on trip to Florida for some fly fishing. When is the best time of year (besides when its less than 10 Rand to the Dollar) and are there any "must visit" places?

My favorite time of the year is spring and fall. To crowded and marginal weather in the summer and winter. You also need to be careful of hurricane season in late summer and early fall.

My favorite places, in order, are:

1. 1,000 Islands area around Marco Island/Naples. Good fishing year round and a lot of good restaurants, plus easy access to the Everglades.

2. Mosquito Lagoon. Best redfish in the state and lots of good water. Easy access to Disney World if you are into that.

3. Biscayne Bay and the Keys. Tarpon, bonefish, very interesting place.

4. Tampa Bay. Lots of good water and backwaters for redfish, snook and trout and best beaches in Florida. I live in the Tampa Bay area, so I may be taking it for granted.
    Last edited by dunfly; 08-17-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Dunfly has it listed perfectly. And, if you do make it to the Mosquito Lagoon area, be sure to look me up. I also manage a fly shop in Orlando where I can be reached.
    http://www.flyfishermaninc.com
    "When we stop chasing thunderbirds, what else is there?"
    Roger Emile Stouff

I took a guy named Sven fishing last year and he was from South Africa...I fish Biscayne Bay myself and live only a few blocks from Tamiami Trail(road to Marco Island)...there sure is a lot of fish in all areas dunfly mentioned...I prefer December-Feb for the biggest bonefish in Miami but its yr round fishing depending on the daily weather

Thanks guys, great info, will be sure to get more out of you as plans progress!

Sent you a pm warren.

TT.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Florida Salt Water Fly Fishing!

Hi Warren,

You've gotten some great advice so far on saltwater FF in Florida. Meeting up with and fishing with a few of these "old Florida hands" would clearly be your best bet to have a good time. You might also want to think about purchasing a book by John Kumiski on FF Florida. I've used the first edition several times to find some excellent spots without a guide (not too proud, just too poor). The book is a very complete list of fish available, tackle, time of the year, methods and places to go even for the boatless angler. Kumiski knows his stuff. I've just bought the 2nd edition and its jam packed with good info. The book covers the entire state from the Northern boarder to the Keys. Also the entire book is oriented to FF. Just brousing the book should whet your appetite for your Florida experience, Sorry if I should like an ad but the book is really good. It goes for $29.95.

Fly Rodding Florida Salt--How and Where to Catch Saltwater Fish on Flies in the Sunshine State By Captain John Kumiski Argonaut Publishing Co. ISBN 0-9635118-5-8

What ever you decide, have a great time! Take a couple of snap shots to show us your handy work. 8T

+ Reply to Thread