+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tongariro River

Default Tongariro River

Hi Guys, fished the Tongariro this last weekend, have to say the fishing was harder than it should be at this time of year. Conditions were perfect, a bit of rain to encourage the runs of rainbows and we still struggled a bit.
    I managed to get a couple of fish at least every day but they are a bit on the small side for Taupo. But we had a good time and cant wait to get back, hopefully the runs are going to be a bit later again this year so a trip in October could be good.
    Here is a pic of me with a fish on.

And one of the small size of the fish.

All the best.
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike Thomas; 08-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Thumbs up

Mike -

Thanks for the report and the pics. Good to see that you are getting out, and looking forward to another report when you go back in October, or sooner.

All the best.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John, Hopefuly I will get out again before that, but on some of the closer smaller streams. Plus I am going to the Cook Islands in September but I do not have the room for a fly rod, I may take take my ultra light spin gear for a bash at some bluefin trevally though!
    Hope all is well in Idaho/Montana.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hey Mike,

Lovely bit of water there. I wouldn't mind catching a few of your "smaller" fishies. Nice pics and report.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Tongariro rainbows...

Great post Mike, do you know if the bows in the Tongariro the McClouds?
    I remember my geology instructor had gone to New Zealand and he showed
    us pics of some rivers and he said the bows averaged 6 lbs. where they were
    fishing. They were flying in somewhere up high either in a float plane i think.
    This was years and years ago.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Hi Montanamoose, sounds like your instructor may have had a trip to the back country in the hills behind Taupo, there are quite a few small rivers and headwaters that can be difficult to access without a helicopter. Some of them used to average some big fish but over the the past 4 or 5 years the average size of Rainbows in the catchment has dropped. The department of conservation think it is due to a lack of food in Lake Taupo over the last few years. Hopefully as the Lake Taupo smelt population recovers so will the size and condition of the Rainbows. Funnily enough the Browns remain as big as ever!
    REE anytime you can make it you are welcome!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi Mike,

Good to see you getting out. It seems the runs are getting later and later each year in the Tongariro. Apparently that's been happening since forever though. Anyway, it's been reported that the smelt took a pounding one year as the water temps didn't cooperate, and the smelt didn't spawn properly (or something like that).

Anyway, keep posting on any trips you make when you get out. Take care.

- Jeff

Default Taupo

Hello again Mike, well it was so long ago it could have been a heli into the back country at that. what i remember most were the pics of the bows hanging out of outstretched arms and hands with the belly bending in the space between the hands. They were big and to avg 6 lbs...man, i said right
    then that i had to go to New Zealand someday.

As i think about it, i'm not even sure if it was North or South Island. Which has the best trout fishing? Browns, yeah they'll eat each other to stay big !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

MontanaMoose, well I am biased of course but the North Island generaly has the best and biggest Rainbows, and the South Island has some of the best back country Brown trout. The North Island is also - so far - didymo free! I understand the Didymo in the South has spread to lots of the best fishing water and who wants to fish in Rock Snot?
    Anyway most streams in the North Island have a mix of Rainbows and Browns. There is some very good fishing in every region of NZ, you are welcome to visit any time and I will make time to show you some of our lovely streams.
    Jeff, you are spot on with the comment about the smelt, aparently this year the smelt ahd a bit of a recovery so fingers crossed this will eventualy mean bigger trout!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Default Rock snot, rainbows and browns up and down

Well i'm used to the rock snot but it sure would be nice not to have
    to deal with it Mike. Sounds like anywhere there in the islands will
    have good trout fishing where they live.

Hey, thanks for the invite and who knows....someday i may be able
    to break away. There must be malls for wifey in Auckland...and wine.

By the same token, if you find yourself in Cali or Oregon, be sure to
    let me know yer comin' and i'll show you the river your bows may have
    come from.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread