+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on the magazine Fly Fisherman

Default Your opinion on the magazine Fly Fisherman

I recently received one of those many junk mail offers. This one was from a magazine called Fly Fisherman and I mail the money to Palm Coast, FL. Cover price said 29.94 and the subscription rate was only 10.00. Ten smollies isn't very much in our hobby and I thought about getting a subscription.

Anyone subscribe to this? What do you think? Worth 10 bucks or save my money for a good 6 pack of beer instead?

Rick

it's not too bad...but after having several years worth of magazines, I canceled since it seems like you get basically the same thing over and over again...I prefer magazines that have a bit more fly tying in them, something that's a bit more helpful.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Fishing magazines...I keep some to look at the pix of the fish and gear LOL. Most of them are just a way to try to get your money (IMHO), you can get all the info you need from here.
    It's just a little bit crazy with all the new stuff coming out I just decided I can't keep up with all that so I canceled my subscription. I'm not sure if the magazine is still out there but there was a free and you could get it at your local fly shop.
    A book is a better investment than a magazine.

Hope this helps

I also shoot and reading Guns and Ammo for a number of years in a row and it seems like many magazine just recycle articles.

I won a subscription to Midwest Fly Fishing which is printed on newsprint in a large format and while it was pretty good, just like Martin said, if one year is $30 you're a lot better off just buying a good book.

The main draw here is the $10 price. I throw magazine away at the house now without ever opening the covers all the time. I must have had close to 10 years worth of Shooting Times, they all went in the trash after a while. Books you keep.

Speaking of tying magazines Clarkman, what do you like there? I have a copy of Fly Tyer on the desk right now that hasn't been read (given to me, not subscribed to). I will have to look through it in more detail.

What I usually find interesting in magazine articles is local information. I'm not one who likes articles on fishing Argentina. Have no desire to go there. So magazines that focus a lot of destinations are not my cup of tea. I like to learn of different tying techniques and patterns that will work in many locations.

Who has time to read a magazine when I spend so much time on the computer

Normand Guest

i waited until fly fisherman sent out the subscriber notice for 2 years for 20 bucks vs the full newsstand price.

its a decent magazine and like ALL of them out there, they just recycle old articles with a new spin. not many photographers make the cover unless your name is "beck"

i subscribed to a british magazine and that one is also getting a little stale

american angler has an online issue of their magazine

i personally would like to see all of the fly fishing/tying magazines have full online issue that can be saved to a .pdf format so i dont have all of that paper stashed in my house. you could then print out just whatever you wanted.
    Last edited by Normand; 08-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.

I don't get the magazine now but I did from 1976 until 7 or 8 years ago.
    During that period I subscribed to a bunch of different fly magazines and I saved them all.
    Out of the bunch, it's only Fly Fisherman that I ever refer back to.

That said, I've long thought that Fly Fisherman's subscriber fees mostly went to pay for the publisher's travel expenses.
    Way too many articles on places I'll never be able to afford to go to. IMO
    But if you like articles on exotic fisheries.... it's your kind of magazine.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thumbs down

Don't care for it, at all. Probably the worst of the lot.

On top of that, they screwed up on a "promotional" offer and ended up sending my "account" to a collection agency over their screw up. I ended up paying a one year subscription just to put an end to it.

Wouldn't permit that magazine in my mail box if it came with $10 cash in every issue.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

Speaking of tying magazines Clarkman, what do you like there? I have a copy of Fly Tyer on the desk right now that hasn't been read (given to me, not subscribed to). I will have to look through it in more detail.
    I really like "Flyfishing and Tying Journal"...don't have a subscription yet, but probably will in the near future. I don't typically tie exact patterns, but they always give me good ideas of specific things to incorporate into my flies I tie for my local streams.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    its a decent magazine and like ALL of them out there, they just recycle old articles with a new spin. not many photographers make the cover unless your name is "beck"
    no doubt, I think I'm going to change my last name to 'Beck'...

if you guys are more interested in the photography, check out "catch magazine" it's an online thing that has some amazing photos

can I put a link here? if not, mods, please delete...but, here it is:
    http://www.catchmagazine.net/

~Randy

Boy, do I agree with you guys.
    I haven't subscribed to a magazine, but I have bought them in the bookstore.
    After buying different magazine for some years I'm not seeing anything new or of interest.

Often I have bought a magazine with some "interesting" cover story; how to be a better fisherman; how to find the fish; how to fish the biggest fish...
    After I have read the article I look back and think what have I learned and it's always the same conclusion, nothing, NOTHING AT ALL.
    The article about how to find the biggest fish said you should go where the biggest fish is in the lake!
    The article about finding fish said nothing new!

It's probable a good thing to susbribe to a magazine when you are new to the sport, but as you guys say, they recycle and after a while you don't see anything new.

It's the opposite of "You ain't seen nothing yet" as Backaman Turner Overdrive sang

+ Reply to Thread