+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insoles for boots?

Default Insoles for boots?

I was having problems with heel spurs and one recommendation was insoles, or what they now call orthotics. I did some foot stretches in the morning and started using off the shelf orthotics and that did the trick. I decidied to try them in my wading boots and found some that looked like they would hold up in water. They are bright blue and are made by Dr. Scholl or CVS, I think they are labeled for "Sports". WOW, what a difference. My feet and legs are much less tired and achy at the end of a session.

Just wondering if any of you add suport to your boots?
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Talking

raw69
    I have been using an insert called symmetry, I have been using them for over 4 years. I highly recommend them. They not only help with foot problem, wife has spars she use them; But with knee and back problems. They are on the spendy side but you only pay once, they dont ware out and hold up in water very well. I am not any way proffet form them or am I part of the company just a happy customer.
    Ghost

This is a very interesting topic and thanks for starting it and thanks also to those who reply.

I suspect that the wading shoes makers these days are trying to make their shoes so light that they don't provide the kind of comfort I get out of my hiking boots so I'm certainly going to give insoles a try!

I plan on taking the insoles with me when I purchase new wading shoes end of summer (on sale!) to make sure I get the correct fit (I always take my waders in when I buy new shoes also).
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

the first thing that always wears out on a pair of wading boots for me is the insole. so i've started upgrading them right away with the dr. scholls gel insoles. out here, you often need to hike muchos miles of stream/trail in a day of fishing and it can be pretty rough going with a lot of elevation gain/loss. and comfortable feet really help the enjoyment factor! so "gellin' like a felon" in your wading boots is a huge benefit. well worth $8 every now and then. just make sure your wading boots are big enough to take the larger insoles.

Default follow on question

I too have 'bad feet' and wear orthotics in my shoes. I never put them in my wading boots because I was afraid of ruining $300+ of orthotics.

Now you've got me wondering if a pair of insoles would help. I'm curious if you put them in the boot directly or if you put them inside your wader sock?

And as a side note - Gorilla Glue works great to repair a pair of wading boots that are coming apart... (I'm disparately hoping my pair will last until there is a new and proven generation of something that replaces felt for stability but doesn't contribute to spreading invasives.)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I too have 'bad feet' and wear orthotics in my shoes. I never put them in my wading boots because I was afraid of ruining $300+ of orthotics.

Now you've got me wondering if a pair of insoles would help. I'm curious if you put them in the boot directly or if you put them inside your wader sock?

And as a side note - Gorilla Glue works great to repair a pair of wading boots that are coming apart... (I'm disparately hoping my pair will last until there is a new and proven generation of something that replaces felt for stability but doesn't contribute to spreading invasives.)
    gorilla glue expands way too much as it dries. i use goop. best stuff since duck tape! but you don't want to glue an insole back in while on a fishing trip. bad idea! just yank those bad boys out and get some gel insoles from the nearest wal-mart or drug store.

keep it simple...just stick them in the boots and go.

All,
    Having spent more than my fair share of time in college working retail and fitting people into hiking boots I recommend the following:
    When measuring your foot size in the store and it expands a half a size or more between sitting and standing you should get some type of orthotic. It is this expansion that tires your feet out and can rub and give you blisters and other problems.

You shouldn't use orthotics to take up volume in your wading shoe if that is your only problem- the real shoe fitters carry a hard rubber insert that you would place underneath the orthotic to take up room in the boot. They commonly refer to these as "8 iron" or "9 irons". Check out any legit hiking boot store that sells Asolo or Vasque and they will have these. There is a store in Tucson called The Summit Hut that can mail these to you and they have a flat rate shipping charge. They have an internet site.

I personally prefer orthotics called Superfeet for my hiking boots and have many pairs of them. Regardless which brand you use, these are not necessarily made to be submerged so I advise that you remove them at the end of the day so that they can dry out. Some of these products are designed with material to absorb (foot) wetness so they will hold onto the water and could end up mildewing in your boots.

Also if you go with the higher end orthotics make sure you work you way into them by wearing them (in your other shoes) for an hour a day and gradually add time. If you bruise the underneath of your feet it can take weeks to heal and you could ruin a trip by doing this.

Also I wear a good quality very thick sock (by Thorlo or Smartwool) inside of my waders which takes up room in the boot and cushions your feet. I recommend adding this "cushioning" first before orthotics and see how your feet feel. If you feel you need something more then go with the orthotics.

Enjoy!
    AZ

Oh forgot the other thing- the shoe people usually use contact cement called Barge to repair shoes. You can purchase this at a hiking store also. You should try to clamp the sole to the shoe after you use this material and let it dry for at least 24 hours.
    There is a company in Bishop CA called the Rubber Room (http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/) that can repair your wading shoes or add the Stealth rubber to any re-sole-able pair of wading shoes (not all are re-sole-able by the way...)
    AZ

I've been gellin' for some time now. Not so much lately since my wading ability has diminished, but they do definitely help.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread