+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Hills of South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Me too, but a whole different trip.... Got back Monday at 1 AM after a twelve hour continuous drive from the Canyons south of Spearfish. Lots of spooky fish up high above the main drag by the Timons Campsite. Couldn't get the little buggers in the beaver dammed stream to eat anything. Constant thunderstorms made waving a wet stick kind of scary and consequently spent a lot of tent time and not much water time. Had the Great White Dope along, Ollie the Yellow Lab, and I was more like "sleeps with dogs" rather than "dances with wolves." Really pretty country up there, but hard to fish the little holes surrounded with Alder. Betty, if you have any sure fire tricks for extracting Brookies from those beaver ponds I'd sure like to hear them...

Corvus...
    Oh, my!! Sleeps with dogs!!! Familiar with the Timons area .... usually have cows to keep you company up there! Beautiful, beautiful canyon up there, but, really, really spooky fish!!

Further back down the canyon, between Roughlock falls and the lodge, is a wonderful stretch of wade-able water (no, not the new containment area ... you'll drown if you try wading it!!!!). Lots of brookies. John Scotts' adaption of the Henry Fork caddis works incredibly!! Regular caddis work, too, but man oh man! The HFC is beyond belief!! As for the beaver ponds, usually caddis or grasshoppers will do the trick ... that and a lot of patience, and staying out of their line of sight! Soft hackled flies (spiders) work well, too!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    And chance ruining my only form of transportation??? I don't think so!!!
    Betty, you are certainly on your game. I'm swept off my feet. I hope that you are soon able to travel to the Land of No Trouts and catch a basketful or rainbows.

Ed

Blog Entries

Default Black Hills Reduex-two

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Beautiful, beautiful canyon up there, but, really, really spooky fish!!
    Thanks Betty,

You're sure right about the view, and the spooky trouts too. I saw that stretch above the impoundment area on the drive out, but the the thunderboomers scared me off. I'll try it next trip.

Corvus (aka: Sleeps With Dogs")
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread