+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread???

Cold Guest

Good stuff. I end up using black about 75% of the time, usually 6/0 or 8/0. The 140 denier you got is roughly equivalent to 6/0 and the 210 roughly 3/0. Anything you got will work on buggers, you'll just have to watch the buildup with the 3/0, and watch that you dont pull too tight with either one. It's hard to break 3/0, but I did it a few times when I started out.

Hi Raiderhunter,

At $1 a spool you did well! That is a very good price. You got some very good colors indeed. I also agree with Cold that black is used a lot.

The 210 should work well on your bass flies. The 140 is Uni 6/0 I think, and it will work well on flies from #12 and larger. I use it on big stone dries and nymphs, on streamers, on foam bluegill spiders, etc.

I have also been tying some transparants with thread, winging material, hackle for legs, and epoxy. The Uni 6/0 works for that also. For those I use red, brown, black, and white.

Do they still have some thread left and on sale?

Regards,

Gandolf

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I went to Gander yesterday and they had alot of their thread marked down to $1 so I bought 2 spools of black, 2 of white, an Olive green, an Olive, and a spool of yellow. I figured that those colors would be the ones I used the most. They were Uni Thread and Danville. I bought some 140 denier and some 210...

So experts how did I do???
    RH,
    At a buck a spool I'd say you did fantastic. If you are really going to get into tying I'd head back and see if they have any brown or spools in the brown family (tan etc.) also some red.

Like to say more but I'm planning on heading over to Gander to see if my Gander is running the same sale.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Normand Guest

you can also use the white thread and with few different colored sharpie (or other brands of waterproof markers) markers you can have any color thread you want

Blog Entries

Raider, here is a fly which you can tie that I'm sure you have all the materials for. I point out this fly for a few reasons.
    1st its a great fly,
    2ND I understand being under-financed it with this addiction. This fly shows you don't need a lot of materials to tie effective flies
    3rd you can learn something tying it

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...091007fotw.php

If you don't have the "right" hook don't be afraid to bend a wet fly hook to shape.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 08-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

like eric said thread and a hook. tag end of thread colored with a black sharpie and wrapped as a rib

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrech...read_midge.jpg

Great price.
    210 will not give you a smooth head until you practice a lot. Don't sweat it.
    You will primarily be using it for large bass flies and saltwater and can smooth it out with Sally Hanson's.

+ Reply to Thread