+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizzie's Stone

Thumbs up Lizzie's Stone

Last week I posted regarding a new golden stone pattern that I had tied, and planned to name in honor of a friend if it fished. Follow the link to the previous thread.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=30193

It fishes. Fished it for a while today on the Lochsa River. Kept the fly that took the first cutt and will send it to my friend later in the week. Took four or five more cutts and bows with another fly in fairly short order, even though it was a rather slow day. Lost that fly and decided to go to another pattern.

The fly has earned the right to be named for and dedicated to my good friend Liz, and will henceforth be called "Lizzie's Stone."

John
    The fish are always right.

That is too kewl!!

I've never tied up any of your flies that DIDN'T work for catching!! Anxious to try this one, too. The Henry Forks caddis adaption is my go to fly in SD.
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 08-11-2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty -

That must mean that the Henry's Fork Caddis is good at catching No Trouts, along with bows, brookies, browns, bulls and cutts ??

John

Good to hear it did well. Many a nice-looking fly gets tied....that only proves to reflect sunlight well

Smile Lizzie's Stone on Elizabeth Creek ID

I went exploring today expecting to try the North Fork of the Clearwater and maybe Kelly Creek. Came to a bridge crossing a small tributary to the N.F.C. The sign read - ELIZABETH CREEK.

I KID YOU NOT !!

Spent a couple hours fishing "Lizzie's Stone" on the North Fork and on Elizabeth Creek. Long story ( see my post today on "Some Time in the Mountains" thread on the Fishing Reports Forum ) short. Caught about thirteen cutts and bows on the Creek and a half dozen fishies in the River with Lizzie's Stone. Also turned a good number of fish - hits and refusals and all that. Lots of action in a fairly short time. THAT is what I was expecting of this fly.

I did make a couple changes to the original. I eliminated the peacock herl as a mostly cosmetic thing. May tie the fly with the peacock or not in the future, depending on my mood at the time.

The other change was more substantial. The original fly wanted to propeller, probably due to the way the hackle was tied in and wrapped. Looked good, but maybe not the best technique ?? Decided to tie in the hackle a couple eye widths behind the eye, hackle back to the deer hair tie in point, and then hackle forward to just behind the eye and tie it off. That change did seem to eliminate the propeller effect.

Fished the same fly for the best part of a couple hours and landed somewhere around nineteen fishies. It was still floating well just before I stuck it in an evergreen by keeping my backcast uppeth, way uppeth.

More effective, simpler, and definitely durable. It fishes, and my friend Liz fishes, too !!

John

There's a creek named after me?!?! Kewl!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts. I really like your Lizzie's stone pattern. Just wondering if you wouldn't mind showing a pic of the modifications you made.
    Thanks.

Thanks for these posts John. I've finally tried furling a mix of my onion and grass stained wool and produced an acceptable extended body. I don't have any dry fly hackle with me, so this was more to just try out the technique. I just dubbed over the tie on thread with a similar wool mix, and then added a bit of hare's mask for a thorax. Hackle was just a reddish brown strung hackle, tied sloping back wet fly style. I didn't have the clips, so just held one end of the wool and used a standard pair of hackle pliers on the other to spin the strands. Once done, just clipped it all into the hackle pliers to hold it all in place before tying in. When I get back to NZ I'll definately be tying up a few mayfly dries this way. Thanks again for bringing upthis technique.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by gpatton View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts. I really like your Lizzie's stone pattern. Just wondering if you wouldn't mind showing a pic of the modifications you made.
    Thanks.
    gpatton -

Thanks for saying thanks, and you are welcome.

I plan on submitting Lizzie's Stone as a Fly of the Week candidate in the next few days. That submission will show the final tying sequence, maybe one pic with and one without the peacock herl, which really is optional. I think with the "back and then forward" hackling technique the herl wouldn't show anyway, and would just add weight to the fly.

If the fly isn't accepted as a FOTW, I'll post some pics on this thread.

John

Jeff -

The first FEB fly that I came up with was a Western Green Drake. To take a step back to that fly, and a step forward, there is a way of incorporating tying thread into the furled body, which tying thread can be used to secure the tails to the FEB.

Follow the link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=23242

About time to tie up some more of those. That hatch will be starting on one of my favorite cutthroat streams soon, if it hasn't already.

John

+ Reply to Thread