+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Sky Montana - mid-February

Default Big Sky Montana - mid-February

Heading there for a conference in the middle of February, and would like to take a day from skiing and fish (weather willing, obviously). I'm leaning towards DePuy's, but am open to any suggestions within a three hour drive or so.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Three hour drive of where? Bozeman?

Depends on the weather. Post again when we can give you a better idea of what is going to happen out here. Depuys is a good idea if the weather is a bit cold. It is 3 below here right now and the river is floating ice. They are saying that this coming week it is to be in the mid to high 40's for over a week. So you just can't tell what is going to ge ready to fish until you are closer to getting here. If the river is open and fishable you can do real well with midges and small nymphs on it. Post when you are closer to coming and I am sure I or others will help you out if we can.. Ron

Another option might be O'Dells creek in Ennis. You might want to call the El Western since I believe that they sell rod fees for the creek. I have to admit though that I do not know if it is open, or if it freezes over. But I believe it is a little closer than Depuys.

LOL JC...you cant go wrong either way now if you could just combine the two and do both at the same time...then life would be good

Actually like Ron said depending on the weather, you have options. I have fished the Lower Madison around Valentines Day and didnt have to deal with too much ice floating down the river. I caught a nice day about 40 degrees and it had been in the upper 30's for the week before so the river was pretty much ice free. I did have work my around the ice build-up that was right on the shore which can be a bit treacherous. But in the end it all depends on how cold it is this winter.

Check back right before your trip and you will be able to get a better idea of conditions.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

I guess I'm too used to people referring to the whole damn state as "Big Sky Montana". Anyway, I think you would do well to consider the upper reaches of the Madison if the weather is favorable. I fish that a good bit in the winter and it can be good. I have never fished Armstrong or Depuys but I know they have discount rates for the off season. Post again, I may even have a first hand madison report for you by then.

+ Reply to Thread