+ Reply to Thread

Thread: corn fly

Default corn fly

Hey, I was wondering. Does anybody have any ideas for a corn fly? I tie mine with yellow chenille on a size 14-10 dry fly hook but I'm open for new ideas.

2. Default

here are two I've been using both posted in an old Carp swap here...

I've used both depending how I want to fish it, and what for, the second one is just a piece of Foam, a little Ice Dub, Its easily weighted to obtain whatever level of buoyancy your looking for.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...3&postcount=65

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...4&postcount=66

if your talkin bout a cernal of real corn, ya can take some (i forget the name) but its in the toy section at walmart... its similar to foam but is moldable like playdough and when its dry it is very light... comes in lotsa colours too... ive tied a few corn cernal shaped flies with it and some popper bodies and seems to work and hold up really well... ya coat the stuff with paint or whatever if ya want after its dried good... when i make a corn fly i shape the foam playdough on a say #14 or 12 hook and let it dry then i put a white dot of paint on the pointed end of the corn... when thet dries i coat the whole cernal with hard as nails...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Cool, thanks gents.

Here's something to think about...

I had a rather hysterical conversation with a very famous fly-tyer & fly fisherman about junk flies. He recanted his story about developing a corn fly made of chenille or dubbing of some type to fool some early season stockers. While his efforts LOOKED good, the trout and other fish he offered it to, seemed to be indifferent to his creation when he chucked in the real thing as a control to some hungry subject fish.

With the keen observation skills of an expert, he discovered HIS fake corn fly didn't fall through the water at the same rate as the real McCoy and he assumed the fish keyed in on this difference and refused his crafted kernel. He then conducted some experiments with real corn in a pond and added JUST enough lead wire to get his "corn fly" to fall at the approximate rate as the real deal.

According to him, the next time he tried his revised corn fly, the results were excellent!

I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not, but coming from a guy with his credentials it was pretty funny and we all had a good laugh thinking about the nuances of weighting a Velveeta or Powerbait fly!!

Good point Bamboozle, I tied mine weightless and didn't think about the sink rate. I'll still give it a try thou, funny thing I have never caught anything on it, maybe that's why.
    Thanks

will have to give the foam one a try on the carp I play with.

wet

How about yellow hot glue? Works for eggs
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread