+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rough tip top

Default Rough tip top

I don't know if this belongs in the rod building section, but I just bought a new rod and the tip top is a little rough inside. Is there any way to smooth it out? I was thinking steel wool, but wanted to ask before trying it. Thanks a ton!

If the seller wont make it good I would replace the tip top. They are not that expensive.

Tim

Panman is right, but just in case that is not an option. Auto polishing compound on a strip of cloth that can be slid back and forth will leave a smooth finish. My original thought had to do with putting a q-tip in a variable speed dremel, not sure that would work but it was a thought.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 08-06-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Its a St. Croix. I am sure they would make it right, I just don't want to have to go thru the process of sending it back.

Dremel makes some abrasive rubber polishing heads if you can find one that will fit where it's rough.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

320 grit (or finer) emery cloth available at any hardware store. Cut a 4" to 6" long strip an inch wide curl up lengthwise with grit out, insert thru tiptop and polish until smooth. You might want to put the rod section thru a book (like the easy threading concept) to help hold it steady. You only need a few inches of the tip sticking out of the book. Add books on top for more tension (just like the thread thing), might even help to have some else holding the books/rod section steady for you.

As tempting a Dremel is, it will likely generate heat, might even be enough to soften the hot glue if that's what the tip top is held on with. It could also leave more edges then you grind away. I love my Wizard (Black&Decker version of a Dremel), but I'd don't think I'd take it to a brand new rod for any reason.

Blog Entries

any thing you have to buy to fix this is going to cost more than a tip. I would call the company and see if they will send you a tip it would be easier for everybody. If they wont send you a tip I would just buy one and replace the rough one.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Default What Eric said, because....

...you may have worn grooves through the plating and smoothing will last a short while and you'll have a rough tip top again. Replace it and if not confident in doing so, yer local fly shop, tackle shop and especially a bait shop will put a new one on in minutes after your arrival. Did that once and
    got the eyes on tutorial...never had to pay to have it done again. Two minute job.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread