+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread???

Default Thread???

Could one of the expert tyers explain the different thread sizes and which threads are for trout flies and which are for bass flies.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

You have stumbled upon one of those touchy areas, you are sure to get lots of opinions...

thread size:
    - most manufactors use differnent standards, one brand in size 6/0 isn't really the same as another ones size 6/0.
    - to solve this confusion a new thread size standard has been recently introduced, denier sizing. The denier number is based on the weight of a specific length of thread. Some manufactors have started writing the denier number on the spool, or you can look it up in this excellent article...http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssthread/index2.html

which thread for which fly:
    - depends more on the materials used and the hook size than on the target species.
    - for small flies (18-24) where bulk is an issue I like to use Wapsi UTC 70 or UNI 8/0, this thread has a small diameter but can break more easily.
    - for big flies (6-12) I like to use something stronger like UTC 140 or UNI 6/0.
    - for some patterns that need a lot of thread wraps to build up a thick body I might use a heavy UTC 280, tying a thread body ant pattern for example.
    - for spinning deer hair I want some very strong thread so I can apply tension. I might use a big nylon thread like UNI size A, or even some extra strong gel spun thread like UNI-100GSP
    - for foam body flies I want to really crank down to get good attachement and prevent the foam from spinning around. Here I might use some kevlar thread with a very high breaking strength, ugly colors however.

other considerations:
    - different brands of thread have different charactoristics. Some thread will separate easily into two strands for 'split thread' dubbing, or unwind to lay flat like floss. Some is twisted like rope, some is made of continous monofiliment strands, some is made of bonded filaments that won't unwind or seperate. Some is waxed, some is not. Each has it's ideal application.

My personal favorite for most general tying is the Wapsi UTC Ultra size 70. It will unwind to lay flat and is not bulky, with this I can create a very smooth thead base. You can twist it up tight and get a very clean sharp ribbing over a dubbed body. It is a little on the light side for big bugs.

I really like the natural colors available inthe UNI product, however I find this thread to be slightly bonded and it will not lay as flat as the UTC.

The recently discontinued Gudebrode product line had an amazing selection of olive shades, I have a stash I use for Blue Wing Olive mayflies, a staple of the local trout.

For big streamers or for spinning deer hair I like the Size A nylon, either Danville or UNI brands.

It gets a little complicated, but I swear that each one has it's purpose. I knew I was over the edge when I noticed I have more spools of thread than my wife, and she is a quilter.....

Good luck, thread is fairly cheap and you can tie a bunch of flies with one spool. So experiment and decide which ones you like. If you are still confused let us know what you are tying and I'm sure you an get some specific recommendations.

Hi Raiderhunter,

I have similar views to Kengore, but use some different thread. For flies from #12 and larger, I generally use Unithread 6/0. For flies from #12 to #16 normally I use Danvilles 6/0 or Unithread 8/0. Yes there is an overlap at the #12s. Sometimes the choice depends on the color of the fly and thread I have on hand, whether I want the thread to lay down flat, etc.

For small flies like #18 and smaller, I go to 14/0 Gordon Griffiths.

The reason for the above, is strength of thread, and concerns for how fast thread build up can occur. For larger flies, you want the strenght of the bigger thread because you may want to tie in larger amounts of material at one time, and thread build up is usually not a problem. For mid size flies, the Uni 8/0 and Danvilles 6/0 are smaller diameter, both have about the same denier number (about have the denier of Uni 6/0), and the smaller diameter builds up much more slowly.

The above is the same reason for Gordon Griffiths on the smaller flies.

For foam, I usually like Uni 6/0, as it is twisted and much stronger than the Danvilles 6/0. The combination of the twist, much larger diameter, and stenght adds up to being able to cinch down the foam much more effeciently than can be done with the smaller thread. The "twist" of the Uni also helps you to "grab" the foam better.

Twisted thread is stronger that non-twisted thread, but is more segmented when wrapped on the fly. Non-twisted thread lays down much more neatly on the fly. For my tying that means the Danvilles lays down flatter than either of the two Unithread products, which are both twisted. (I don't tie too many really small flies, and when I do, I sometimes just use Danville's 6/0 or Uni 8/0 instead of digging out the GG.)

On those very rare occassions when I spin deer hair, I used larger thread and have Uni 3/0, Danville's flat waxed nylon, and "Big Fly", but don't particularly like tying with any of the larger threads.

One other thing, the Danville's can be had through Hook and Hackle for less money than most thread can be bought from other sources. H&H is a sponsor.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 08-07-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Here's some tips.
    If you use anything smaller than 6/0 you will lose your mind with it breaking all the time. For bass flies and saltwater use Danville's flat waxed nylon. For panfish flies use 6/0 or 140 denier, and sometimes flat waxed nylon. For trout flies use 6/0 because to start with you don't want to tie on anything smaller than a 12 or 14 hook.
    Cabelas actually has good thread prices and you can see all the colors in their online ad. Hookhack.com has good prices too, but you will need to get the color choices from the Cabelas site.

Default Informative Article

Here is a link to an Article that should be helpful.

Tim

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ps/part211.php

Smile

Raiderhunter as I've said in other posts that you wrote,go to your local fly shop for a hour and get a tour. RIVERFIELDS is on west interstate 40. They might have a tying class. I tried to find a local ffhishing club for a free tying class. Yes you can learn on your own but a couple hours with a tyer and you could do wonders. BILLL

I started back into fly tying with one of the beginners kits, to see if It would be worth it for me to try again.
    I'm a lot older than back when I was a youth trying to tye with Mom's sewing thread, stolen cat and dog hairs, and found feathers.
    The wonders of the Internet helped me cover years of question in a hurry.
    I have most of the thread that came in that beginners kit, 6/0; some other stuff like some Kevlar, and a very nice assortment of 14/0 which is very fine.
    But the 14/0 is what I use the most. Because I like to tye fly's much like what I find in the high altitudes I prefer to fish.
    14/0 is also a very slow building thread, so it is easier to build thread bodies and heads. It works very well for the mosquitoes I tye, and anything else from my preference of #16 to #28 sized hooks. I tye and fish nearly exclusively dry fly's. I love that rise and the thrill of the strike. I'm not in a hurry, nor a "fish counter".
    So I suppose you could say it goes back to what do you want to tye? And to buy your materials accordingly.
    But you won't get anywhere procrastinating.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Blog Entries

I like Danville flat waxed nylon thread. I also like Flymaster Plus. I don't mind using the 6/0 Uni thread either. If it is a tiny fly I can go to a smaller thread...but I tend to break thread if I go under these sizes. If I break thread more than a time or two, I will rarely use that thread again. I hate to break thread...I guess I am a heavy handed tyer.

Exclamation Update!!!

I went to Gander yesterday and they had alot of their thread marked down to $1 so I bought 2 spools of black, 2 of white, an Olive green, an Olive, and a spool of yellow. I figured that those colors would be the ones I used the most. They were Uni Thread and Danville. I bought some 140 denier and some 210...

So experts how did I do???
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

+ Reply to Thread