+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Abilene

Default Fishing in Abilene

Our daughter and family just moved to Abilene Texas . are there any trout streams in that area ? Thank you . Wirebender

Ummm, No. Maybe in the winter, early spring. Put and take by the state. Lots of water around there, lakes and such. I'd imagine some excellent bass, crappie and catfish waters. Have fun with whatever is there to catch. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Wire, I am from just up the road a ways in Amarillo. The closest trout stream to you is the Guadalupe River...However, New Mexico has some real fine trout streams that are well wehter the drive. PM me if you would like to keep in touch.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Closest trout stream is in New Mexico, 6-8 hours from Abilene. The Penasco river for wild trout (all on private property and pay to fish, try Mulcock Ranch, there are some real hogs in there) or the Rio Ruidoso in Ruidoso for some wild brookies and stockers. I would say that the Mountain Fork River in southeast Oklahoma is also about 6 hours from you. It is a year round fishery for rainbows and browns. It is a really sweet river, but crowds can get heavy. The San Juan in northwest New Mexico is a world class tailwater, but a 12 hour drive. The Rio Grande in north central New Mexico, and the surrounding waters like the Costilla are excellent, about a 10 hr drive. I am listing all these because I deal with the same thing, being west of Fort Worth. Now I just try to score cheap plane tickets and fly to Montana/Wyoming.

In the winter time, trout are stocked below the dam on Possum Kingdom near the Highway 16 bridge. It is probably an hour and a half from Abilene. It is fun but crowded on the weekends, weekdays are better. The fish will rise to dries but in my experience they have to be maddeningly small, size 20 and smaller.

You might consider a float on the Devil's river down towards Del Rio. I have never been, but I have seen pictures, it is beautiful and remote. It has good fishing for smallmouth bass.
    Good luck man.

6. Default

It sounds like a good time to get into warmwater fly fishing. Fishing for the little trout stocked by TPWD is not very satisfying. The Guadalupe is a different story, but it is a 5 hour drive from Abilene.
    Last edited by bazakwardz; 08-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Thank you one and all for the information !! Keith

+ Reply to Thread