+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolutely Incredible!

Default Absolutely Incredible!

Just thought some of you might enjoy seeing this as much as I did. Even if you don't tie your own flies you owe it to yourself to check these beauties out. This man takes fly tying to a whole new level.

http://www.grahamowengallery.com/fis...fly-tying.html

Talk about shock and awe, he simply ties some of the most beautiful and realistic flies I have ever seen........Absolutely Incredible!

akalooker

Last edited by akalooker; 08-08-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

WOW! Except for the Jungle Cock in the dragonfly I couldn't tell what was used in any of his flies. Incredible.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

those are amazing! puts all of my flies to shame.

Default First attempt

at a dressed salmonfly......wow!

The only mention he makes of something not being in proportion is the tail is too long! Who woulda thunk it.

bpbbyg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Terry,

Thanks for posting that...He is just unbelieveable...what talent!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Terry,

Thanks for posting that...He is just unbelieveable...what talent!

You're welcome Warren. I can only imagine the amount of time and skill involved in making each and everyone of those flies.....That guys got mad skills for sure!

And his photography skills ain't bad either!

akalooker

"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

I still remember when Graham first started out, he's been a regular contributor at Fly Tying Forum and has no problems with techniques and teaching others.

He has some really incredible ties though!!!!!!!

Fatman

Smile

Thanks guys, I?m really glad you like my work! I have so much fun with realistic fly tying that I actually changed careers last year. Now I supply realistic bugs to the entertainment industry, natural history museums, nature centers, retail merchants, etc. Next week I?m sending a few dozen flies to a major clothing retailer to be photographed and incorporated into their new catalog. This week is challenging, making a specific species of rare butterflies for Disney?s Imagination Movers, with flapping wings. Nitinol wire is pretty cool stuff to experiment with, especially for animating bugs, with low voltage electricity.

I don?t spend much time on forums lately, for a number of reasons, including time constraints, and reading people blasting me for model making as opposed to fly tying. I used to disagree because I tyed everything, with thread. But, with that said, this year I?ve had several orders for more than 50 bugs at a time, such as 212 moths I created for a movie Adam Sandler is currently filming, and I pushed the legs through the foam body with a needle, and set them in place with glue, which saved me countless hours. I still thin of flies as lures, too light to be cast with a spinning rod, requiring a fly rod and line, and to that effect, I still think of my work bench as my fly tying desk. I very seldom fish realistics, but I do have a fondness for realistic stones because they work so well on pressured waters, such as the E Walker in the sierra.

BTW, FAOL has some of the world?s best realistic tyers on boards, such as Mantis (Bob Mead) who keeps realistic tying in its purest form, no glue, no synthetics, all natural materials, and his creations are masterpieces, to be framed and admired by those who appreciate the fine art of fly tying. I use a lot of synthetics, most notably, thin strips of foam, segmented onto fine wire, and painted over with clear acrylic varnish, custom colored with pigment powders, and pantone markers. One of the reasons I used synthetics when I began realistic tying, was to prevent moths from destroying my stuff. About 12 years ago I bought a gorgeous full-dressed salmon fly, and about five years ago I moved the frame to a different location on my wall, and most of the framed fly crumbled into dust. I like to think my flies will outlast me?

Thanks again for all of the kind and supportive remarks; I will be smiling all day,

Graham

Graham,
    Thanks for joining up. I was looking at your site with my wife sitting beside me. She neither ties nor fly fishes, but she couldn't believe the beauty of some of the flies. (Or the ugliness of some of the others ) Of course, she especially loved the little slider. Fantastic work. I'm glad to see that you have been able to turn it into a living. Now, every time I see a bug in a movie, or an advertisement, I'll wonder...

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I'm glad to be here. I have a number of tutorials on my photography website...
    http://www.grahamowengallery.com/fis...tutorials.html

And a few more pics on another site...
    http://www.filmflies.com/

A lot of bugs on screen are cgi, especially if they are in motion, but I stay busy, just got a call for 12 honeybees, will have to start those later next week, bees take about three hours each to tye.

Cheers,
    Graham

+ Reply to Thread