+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eastern Montana?

Default Eastern Montana?

Anybody on here from Eastern Montana?

There's a chance I could be moving to Glendive and was curious about the area. Aside from the Yellowstone River, is there much of anything in the way of fishing out there (I know it's badlands)?

I'm originally from Miles City. Ft. Peck reservoir is pretty much the only game in the neighborhood. Tongue River reservoir, and Bighorn River & reservoir are "near" by Montana standards.

Mostly warm water fisheries with the exception of the upper Bighorn that you probably already know about.

Default Miles City

Poke 'em -

BB member boarmountain is from Miles City. Suggest that you send him a PM since he hasn't been posting too much lately and may miss this thread. Also, if you check his profile, you can get the name of his rod building business and contact information and give that a try.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Anybody on here from Eastern Montana?

There's a chance I could be moving to Glendive and was curious about the area. Aside from the Yellowstone River, is there much of anything in the way of fishing out there (I know it's badlands)?
    Get a copy of John Holt's Montana Flyfishing Guide: East. The book is a few years old, but it still has a lot of good, useful information and it should point you to some productive water.

Regards,
    Scott

You've got me to reminiscing about old times and jogging my memory. Kind of ironic that I'm camped at Hebgen Lake and working in Yellowstone this week, missing the open plains of the east side of the state right now.

The Region 7 FWP office in Miles might still keep a list of the area stock ponds that they've loaded from the hatchery that's also in Miles City. Also may have stocked some with rainbows from Lewistown.

Spotted Eagle is a little lake on the outskirts of Miles. I've heard reports that it has many large catfish and possibly a tiger muskie or two. I used to catch sunfish there when I was a kid.

Cats, walleye, sauger, sturgeon, blue suckers (they really are blue, but fairly rare), paddlefish, ling, and bass in the Yellowstone and Tongue.

Lake trout, walleye and northern pike are the hot tickets in Ft. Peck.

My railroading relatives used to ride along on off days east to Baker Lake for cats and panfish or west to the Musselshell for ling.

+ Reply to Thread