+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first time

Default my first time

Hat I was The first time I ever picked up a fly rod was a couple of weeks ago, when I was on a trip to the mountains in colorado.I had never fished for trout and never fished in a stream. After an uncle and cousin of my wife came back day after day with their daily limits of trout, I decided that I had to give it ago. I tried one day using my ultralight with some sucess on worms. Fly fishing seemed like too much work and a little over whelming for me. Until one day I walked to the little store and bought a fly fishing kit. It was 25 dollars and came with 3 flys and just enough line. I went straight to the river and started fly fishing for the first time in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I had no idea what I was doing. Just new what I had picked up watching some people fish while we were rafting the day before. I had a bunch of terrable casts and no fish. I finally had a good cast, as soon as it hit the water a descent sized brook trout swolled the fly. After that one good cast I couldn't do it again. That was. The only fish I caugh that day. The next day I went out with wifes uncle and he showed me a few things. I couldn't stop catching fish that day or the next day. The only fish I kept was my first trout on my first fly rod. A day I will never foget, and I will keep that rod for ever. I will post a pick of my very first trout later today. Now I can't wait to get back on the water and I will return to that same spot that I learned to fly fish for as long as I can. The only lesson that I can pass on at this time is that the propwr cast is just as important or more important as the right fly
    David

You not only hooked a fish on a fly you seem to have got yourself hooked on fly fishing. Hope you have many more enjoyable outings with the long rod.

Tim

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

David

Welcome to the addiction that is fly fishing.

and welcome to FAOL from south west Washington State.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Just goes to show that you don't have to go astream with a $1000.00
    worth of equipment.

Welcome to the world of fur and feathers David, and it seems you ascertained one of the most important essentials pretty quickly.........presentation!

Your first trout on the fly seems to have a way of hooking you!

bobbyg

p.s. I think you will find there will be many days when the salmo are not so willing!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 08-04-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Cold Guest

p.s. I think you will find there will be many days when the salmo are not so willing!
    How true...

Thanks for sharing your story, Dblackman. I enjoyed the read very much.

They should have to hang a sign outside fly shops: "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!"

I went to a fly shop I dont go to very often a few weeks ago to pick up an order, and one of the owners was explaining the basics to a novice. I kinda felt bad that my first thought was, "Oh man, the poor guy has no idea what he's getting himself into."

Well It seemed a lot bigger when i first got her on the shore.It is my very first trout. She put up a heck of a fight and sure was tasty. She

Nice Rainbow, David!
    Welcome to the asylum.
    You'll never escape from fly fishing now.
    PM me a mailing address and I'll mail you some fly's for your creel.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

D, welcome to FAOL from So Cal. When you get back to KC look up all the folks from FAOL in your neighborhood. Seems to be a few who like to get out together every so often. Look for them on the warm water forum. Trouts ain't the only fishes that can be caught on a fly. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Welcome to the cult (sect?) David. I, too, started (re-started) with a cheapo $20.00 to $25.00 outfit. Had a blast. Little did I know how much that "$20.00" would become...

BTW -- very nice trout. It is not a brook trout, as you mentioned, but it's very nice. The spot pattern actually looks like a cutbow, or a cutthroat (the Snake River variety). Wish I could see more of the jawline.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by troutgeek View Post
    Welcome to the cult (sect?) David. I, too, started (re-started) with a cheapo $20.00 to $25.00 outfit. Had a blast. Little did I know how much that "$20.00" would become...

BTW -- very nice trout. It is not a brook trout, as you mentioned, but it's very nice. The spot pattern actually looks like a cutbow, or a cutthroat (the Snake River variety). Wish I could see more of the jawline.

Thanks for posting.
    For me it was a little hard to identify. It was my first trout, and the book was in black and white. But after you mentioned it, i did more research and i think you are right. it is a cutthroat trout. Thanks for pointing that out. There is soo much i still need to study, altough I probably wont make it to a trout stream until next summer.
    David

+ Reply to Thread